Steak Knives: How much will you or do you pay for?

Had you ever heard of one or been offered a special pizza knife at a restaurant before now? I have not.

No, but that is because I am not wise enough like Yoda.

1 Like

I don’t think eating pizza with a knife has much to do with wisdom :joy:

(Also I might use a knife for Neapolitan - because: soggy - but I can’t imagine needing a steak knife for that)

1 Like

You must feel the Force around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes. Even between the pizza and steak.”

I bought two steak knives, as part of a bigger order including (four) fish knives and forks. I am the only one eating steak at home so 2 sounded good. Plus I can always order more if needed - this is a classic collection that has been around for decades.

I’ve seen pizza knives at restaurants, in Europe at least. Serrated with a handle made of wood. Doesn’t make sense for a New York slice indeed.

Oh yes, I think you have mentioned fish knives like this?

I have never own a fish knife. Is is useful?
When I was in New Jesery, I noticed many people eat pizza with fork and knives, but they are regular knives I believe.

1 Like

A fish knife is definitely useful, but if you aren’t into aesthetics like me probably a waste of money? I mean you can only use it properly if eating a fillet of fish basically, other than that a normal knife or your hands would be perfectly fine as well.

I get my Guy Degrenne flatware from that site :+1:t2:. I cannot bring myself to spend huge bucks for steak knives. That’s not to say I haven’t tossed several sets of lousy ones.

I have them and I put them out if I serve fish to guests for dinner, but I think their greatest function is to assist in eating fish with bones’ which I don’t serve.

1 Like

I have a couple of those - they are also sold individually - I bought them for tiny utility kitchen knives because of the serrations.

In Europe its not uncommon to be given a special pizza knife (because eating pizza with your hands when seated at a table is frowned upon)…this doesnt apply to the super cool cardboard servers that you receive when ordering a slice on the street in Italy)
2570-2

As far as steak knives, thats what TJMaxx and Ross ans Marshalls are for.

3 Likes

Is a typical pizza knife interchangeable with a steak knife? damiano’s knife and a few advertised knives sometime advertise them as pizza+steak knives

I mean…it’s a piece of metal with a honed edge…but I’ve never seen a pizza knife (like the photo) used as a steak knife.

1 Like

I still have the set of 6 steak knives that were a wedding gift. Either Wusthof or Zwilling, I can’t remember which and the logos are long since become invisible. They were some cheaper consumer line with a misleading name like “Gourmet!” or some such. I doubt they were more than $60 for the set.

The blades are pretty brittle. I snapped one mid-blade (and wasn’t really being all that abusive) and have one that’s shorter now because somehow the tip got bent and in trying to straighten it the last ~ 5 mm snapped off so I ha to re-shape it.

So I actually need to buy a new set, and you’ve got me thinking about it. I’m stumped by your question. I’m not a huge spender, but have bought 4 chef’s knives and a long slicer in the last few years, for the daughters and me. These were each in the retail $150-200 range (pretty sure they were on sale, though, and I got much cheaper).

But maybe because I’ve lived most of my adult life with those cheapo steak knives, I’d have a hard time shelling out $60+ per steak knife. I guess I just don’t care so much about them. They just need to be capable of being made sharp and fit comfortably enough in the hand.

Looking now, Zwilling/Henckels have a cheap set called “Gourmet” (speak of the devil) that are under $25 per at regular price, and Amazon’s running a deal on a Henckels “Classic” set at $25 per, supposedly normally $55 per. I might bite on those. [Edit - found out on camelcamelcamel that the supposed normal price is Bee Ess. And verified on Zwilling’s website that the $25/knife is the standard retail price. Guess I’ll wait for a real sale.]

I have one of those, it is a butter knife.

butter knife

4 Likes

That’s what I thought too.
I’m not completely crazy, at least.

3 Likes

Fish knives are bigger than butter knives. We have my German grandparents set of silver which included fish knives.

2 Likes

Ah, that’s interesting. I wondered how two identical knives (or what I thought were identical) could have different names.

My mom has/had a butter knife. Thus when i first saw” fish” knife, i was confused

2 Likes

I want my steak knives to be able to go in the DW, so I don’t pay much for them.

Currently I use a set of Scanpan steakknives with a PTFE coating on them.

They work just fine and once they’re done I’ll replace them with a new set of the same type.

I also normally cut my steaks out into smaller pieces with a kitchen knife once they have rested, so I rarely use a steak knife for steaks.