Stand Mixer for making pasta dough - which one?

Thank you for that suggestion, I saw that, but figured I did not need it and the Ankarsrum. Maybe I will keep my Artisan just for the attachments…hey I heard the Costco model has metal gears, all others have plastic? Have you heard that? Combined with their return policy, that mixer definitely should be bought from Costco in my opinion, if one so desired it.

Thank you so much, how interesting!! I thought semolina was the “better” flour for pasta, so are you saying it comes out better with more of the “00”? Do you have a favorite “00” for your pasta? I use the Antimo Caputo “00” Chef’s flour.

‘00’ is simply a measure of how finely the flour has been ground. You can have both soft wheat and hard wheat ‘00’ flours.

1 Like

I was very happy with how soft my dough was out of the Ankarsrum, it mixed pasta dough better then my food processor. It seems like it pushed moisture into the flour better, which makes sense, since the food processor is more of a cutting action then kneading.

I would of had one sooner, but the older one I bought off eBay was lost in transit. Bummer as it was a great deal! So my husband bought me a new one, I picked orange because it looks cheerful to me. What color did you pick? The gold sparkle and mineral white appealed to me too, but gold would of clashed with EVERYTHING in my kitchen, so that color was out! :slight_smile:

I watched a food programme the other day, a chef explained:

"There are several types of flour according to their capacity in brans and minerals:
It is by the weight of the ashes contained in 100 grams of dry matter that one designates the large types of flour. (Ashes are mineral substances mainly contained in brans.)

The number of the type indicates the weight in grams of the mineral residue contained in these 100 grams of flour: the lower the ash content, that is to say the quantity of debris still mixed, the more the flour is pure and white, because the mineral substances are mostly contained in the brans. "

What you said is all true, but the Italian ‘00’ designation is of a different category than, say, a French 95 flour. The French 95 refers to the weight of the ash remaining after the flour has been burnt. The Italian ‘00’ refers to a flour that has been ground finer than the normal European flours.

There’s a review on Amazon where the reviewer broke down different models of KitchenAid mixers and reported on the internals. I can’t remember the answer to your question, but if you can find that review, it will give you the answer.

Thank you so much for the video, I love it! :slight_smile:

I just made a batch of pasta using your ratios, will let you know what I think of the difference.

Well my husband prefers the ratio you use, so 75/25 it is! Thanks! :slight_smile:

Enjoy!

We did. I made a 500 gram flour batch last night, and it is all gone now. How the heck did we eat all that? Guess I better exercise tomorrow ha ha ha.

FYI, I pick up a stellar jarred pasta sauce from TJ Maxx, of all places. Made in Italy. We love it. I don’t feel I have perfected a fresh tomato sauce yet…anybody got much loved recipes for me to try?

Can we even get good fresh tomatoes in the USA? I cannot help but feel like we cannot, unless we grow them ourselves. Growing up someone near us grew vegetables and we would pick out tomatoes and then buy them, tasted heavenly right off the vine, warm with the sun. I have been trying to target sources for DOP cans of tomatoes to make sauces from, so far my tomato sauce efforts have not impressed me. I don’t want to stop trying until I have to close my eyes and sigh after tasting it. I am not happy with just okay. I mean, I would rather buy very good jarred then have my just okay home made sauce on noodles, especially extra special home made noodles like the ones you helped me make. They need a worthy sauce.