Stamatis, Astoria, Queens

Delicious meal here tonight. Dave Cook suggested Amylos but Kay’s colleague loves Stamatis so work politics won out. We did not suffer.

We came just as early diners were leaving. Maybe a 15 minute wait.

Dip plate was exceptional. Garlicky AF eggplant flecked with feta and herbs, tarana that could have used more roe, incredible skordalia that was very potato heavy, tzatziki with tons of cuke. The bread was a bit fluffy but sprinkled with excellent otegano. The accompanying kalamata olives were incredible.

We enjoyed a simple Greek salad with incredible feta and a plate of boiled greens. The greens bland. I spiked mine with feta and kemon, kay with vinegar.

The star of the show was grilled :octopus: octopus. Fabulous.

Dinner was 68 which seemed a bargain.

I’d propose a group dinner here when Kay and I are back in November. The lamb looked awesome and there were tons of veggies we want to try.

Sorry for the pics of scraps, gluttony won out over documentation.

6 Likes

Gawd I wish we had some good Greek around these parts… at least the melitsanosalata, fava & tirokafteri are decent at the local Greek, but forget about getting octopus like that, or proper skordalia.

We live in Baltimore, home to a huge greek community and we have yet to find Greek like this. But at least we have very good greek.

1 Like

I have the same problem. My pics are often of empty plates.

Mine would be too, but after 70# weight loss, I just can’t eat it all before remembering to take a photo!

I had to laugh after inadvertently pouring more red wine vingar òn the dandelion greens than I meant to. The result was a flashback to childhood and loving overcooked spinich with too much vinegar to notice the greens. I will second Dean in saying the grilled octopus and the dips were perfect.

Dean, which Greek place in balti do you recommend? We visit Jim’s sister who lives in Arcadia occasionally, and Greek came up as a possibility . but we walked to Bertha’s Soul Food Bar and Grill on Belair Ave instead and had very very good fried fish and shrimp.

This is good to know
They are on our usual delivery app.

For Greek, we were impressed with Plaka which is new. Mostly very good with one miss on our first visit.

Ikaros is old fashioned but good. But it is heavy.

Then there are myriad little greek hole in the walls… good but not a destination.

One of our favorites is the Greek Festival at a greek orthodox church. We got rained out this year. Same with the Ukrainian.

1 Like

cornbread at Berthas iwas disappointing though. Its a place where the owners hang out on the street corner. and were very happy we liked their food.