St Lawrence Market in the news

Scheffler’s acquires the most premium location of them all.

1 Like

The article has a few contradictions. When we were there on the weekend, we were surprised at the number of stores closed on a Saturday.

Changes seem to indicate the city is keeping its promise to not let the historic destination be overrun by tourist traps or turned into a food court

To me, it actually seems like they’re turning it into a food court. And tourist busses blocking the right turn lane in front of the market.

If the city tried to bring in another sandwich shop catering to tourists, “everybody is going to revolt,” as Bob Stoyanovski, owner of Upper Cut Meats, told the Star last month.

Ironic since the biggest new store in there is Stack’d Deli Kitchen https://stackdkitchen.com

If they can’t find non-fast food vendors to fill the central market, what’s going to become of the huge new north market?

1 Like

The new north market ground floor will be used for the Saturday farmers market & as event space - same as the old temporary market that was previously there. The building is also supposed to house a seniors centre & municipal courts on the upper levels. The land where the temporary market is (white tent) is slated to eventually have a library built on it.

I live across from the market and am there pretty much every weekend as it’s where I do my grocery shopping - it’s always busy, and I’m there first thing in the morning.

The hop on/hop off and tourist busses are not new - the reality is that the market has a dual role which includes being a tourist attraction.

2 Likes