Sri Lankan Food Recommendations

I just discovered Khotu Roti this weekend and can’t remember when I’ve had something that good. Bright, spicy, lots of interesting textures. Are there any other stand-out Sri Lankan dishes that you’d recommend? Veg preferred, chicken OK if it’s not too greasy.

This was at a new restaurant called The Indian Streetfood Company in Toronto. It’s in the same location and run by the same owner as Amaya. A very refreshing reboot for the space.

Lamprais (“lump rice”) are a typical Sri Lankan meal. It’s rice and spicy curries and accompaniments all wrapped up in a banana leaf and steamed together. If you’re familiar with Malaysian food, this is the Sri Lankan version of Nasi Lemak.

Hoppers are a carb, i.e. like a pancake/crepe you use to scoop up the dishes. There are different versions like egg hoppers, string hoppers (which resembled steamed thin noodles), etc.

Fish and seafood are pretty popular. One of my good friends in high school/college was Sri Lankan and I always loved going to their house for special occasions because all the women would cook an item, potluck style. I could always count on seeing fish curry, shrimp and fish cutlets. My friend said Sri Lankans can’t live without their seafood. :smile:

Sri Lankans have their own versions of curries and dals, like in Indian food, but they tend to be more heavily spiced.