SPONTANEOUS BITES! -- circa 2020

I don’t think I was there during grand opening phase - I’ve gotten it by delivery more recently. Sort of a one trick pony but a good trick. The tenders, fries and other stuff is mediocre. The tenders worse than mediocre actually. But that sandwich is great. I love the smaller bread and big piece of juicy bird and how you can enjoy a piece of chicken and then get down to the chili slaw and bun part as a change of pace. Now rays I love everything but the sandwich - white meat need not apply! Too bad Daybird not frying up wings because i think those would really shine with that spice mix.

1 Like

Should’ve have had ice cream

#BecauseTooHotInSoCal

1 Like

no qualms here about eating frozen cake either. pound cake in particular can be quite nice that way. But that slice is crying out for a la mode.

Instead of ice cream, I generally prefer a malt or shake with my cakes. That said, I really don’t like cakes that much.

Pies? Yes. And most definitely a la mode. Peach pie and vanilla ice cream is like my culinary wet dream on most days.

1 Like

Me too !

1 Like

It ain’t pretty compared to what the home cooks display on this website but this strawberry rhubarb number sure was good this weekend. Of course a la mode.

My pie rankings are pretty steady with apple at the top.

For a change of pace that key lime pie ice cream at gingers is pretty damn good tho.

They all look the same in the stomach.

1 Like

Pie that oozes is a good thing.
Served à la mode no one is starring at the construction of the pie but rather which piece will become the first bite.

1 Like

I agree with you both @ipsedixit and @Olunia – my crew would rather have a larger slice than a prettier slice all day long. I reserve “evening out” privileges in the pie pan - that’s a productive niche.

1 Like

You know the truism, right?

If you eat something that you can’t see, the calories don’t count.

1 Like

yep, like broken cookies and assisting in dessert completion.

1 Like

My hips would like a word with the both of you. :wink:

1 Like

Just don’t look at your hips.

Body parts you do not see never gain weight.

3 Likes

Lololol !

CevicheStop - quick report no photos, this was very solid and well priced. Lots of shrimp, lobster, oysters, fried and raw seafood and other peruvian classics. I’m looking forward to trying more stuff.

2901 S La Cienega Blvd (Where the Gaby’s Mediterranean used to be).

1 Like

Note to self – a spoon is not the proper tool for a quiche.

1 Like

Not a plastic spoon, anyway

Any triangular shaped food I pick up and eat like a slice of pizza.

3 Likes

2 Likes

It’s August, so how are you all staying cool lately?

Mul-naengmyeon at Yuchun in Koreatown. Gotta get a really big mouthful to get all the noodle bounce. Mul-naengmyeon for hot weather, pho dac biet for cold weather is my play.

Halibut “Live” (tank) sashimi with its fin at Songdo in Koreatown. Korean style sashimi meal is different than a Japanese one, but I was glad to have tried it as I seek to understand more cuisines around Koreatown. There were lots of dishes making use of the rest of the halibut (this one is the most photogenic).

Inaniwa udon at Umeda in Hollywood. Nice dish to close after some kisu tempura, ushio-jiru with manila clams, some ume-shiso maki, negitoro maki, and of course the creamy rock shrimp tempura (which is de rigueur at a Matsuhisa establishment).

6 Likes