SPONTANEOUS BITES! -- circa 2020

portion size at pasta sisters and uovo and too many other sorta budget friendly spots really does qualify as “bites.” I’m a fan of this genre, but it’s not that cheap either - obviously they know what they are doing. prob why i generally cook pasta at home, we like a lot of it and many good dishes are easy to prepare and require few ingredients and little time.

1 Like

Hi @chienrouge ,

Definitely agree. :slight_smile: They are more “Primi” (sort of a small plate / first bite / appetizer) portion. Great for sampling different flavors, but yah, after 2 - 3 orders to share with 2, it’s still a bit pricey. :wink:

Some solid flavors at Pasta Sisters, but you’re right. I tried some recipes I found for a great Bolognese at home and, not bragging, but I loved the Bolognese I made at home (more than quite a few restaurants).

1 Like

The Marcella Hazan recipes are solid gold. Cheers !

1 Like

Last day of school, so B Patisserie Kouign Amann for the favorite teachers

5 Likes

Great for the kids and teachers - they have accomplished a great deal this year in the face of much adversity! Apples are overrated when you have those!

1 Like

That’s so awesome @brisket44 ! :slight_smile: Wow, buying B Patisserie Kouign Amann for the teachers. A nice gesture (and those teachers are so lucky!). :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Woodhouse Fish Co. SF
Continuing the tradition of fish and chips on Father’s Day. Solid shrimp cocktail, fish was super fresh and generous but batter was a touch thick. Squid ink linguini with Dungeness crab for the teen.

6 Likes

Family traditions are the best. Enjoy the rest of your day !

2 Likes

Thanks, it’s a self created tradition I started when she was young. I’m hoping my daughter will continue it when she’s old enough to take me out for Father’s Day!

2 Likes

Hi @brisket44 ,

Great tradition and the food looks delicious. Thanks for sharing. :slight_smile: Are the Fish & Chips there your favorite in the city? Thanks!

Granted there are lots and lots of inexpensive fried fish spots in LA but Is there any non-fancy fish n chips place you can recommend?

Ever been to H Salt Fish & Chips in Santa Monica? (11870 Santa Monica Blvd)

These guys obviously think it’s authentic and that means something to me.

There’s also the Wee Chippy on the Venice boardwalk - also haven’t checked it out.

It seems somewhere down the line “good” fish and chips has become an expensive gourmet meal not fast food.

Ahgassi Gopchang

The titular gopchang

Kodo.

Ok. Saba bozushi is pretty good; decent spot with nice service but not really Japanese food in taste (except the saba bozushi is decent). That’s ok. With specific friends it could be a spot to start the night in the Arts. Middle pic is seared tai. Bottom pic is eel liver robata, both some of their signatures, apparently.

4 Likes

Smooth like butter?

My favorite in the Bay Area are at Fish in Sausalito, we usually go there. They used to use halibut but switched to cod, so even they aren’t as good a they once were.
No real top dog in SF. I’ve had them at Woodhouse, Codmother, Pacific Catch and Hook Fish Co. which are all good but none really standing out. I like a tempura like beer batter where you an actually taste the beer in it, not too thick. Would love to hear of recommendations in the Bay Area.

2 Likes

Bonus points for a great name

Never heard of it until now but there’s also

2 Likes

Daybird

2 Likes

Hi @chienrouge ,

Ah, was it your first time visiting? How was it? Thanks.

So you ordered a fried chicken and they decided to throw in a bun and some lettuce?

1 Like

Hi @Chowseeker1999 @ipsedixit

Been a few times. It’s a solid Bplus. Pros: thigh meat and yes essentially a sandwich with an extra piece; slaw has no Mayo and has chilis maybe daikon cilantro it was nice; Chinese peppers and spice flavor profile a bit sweet even not numbing enough tho. Negatives: extreme not that hot sorta rays medium level and I’m not sure sweet part is really my bag all the time.

Still very good stuff and a nice break from Rays / Hotboys if you want a sandwich. They have no wings or regular chicken.

1 Like

Thanks @chienrouge . Did you ever try Daybird during their Grand Opening period? I ask because we tried it back then, then tried it a month later or so, after Chef Mei Lin hired other staff to cook instead of her. The difference was noticeable (it was much better when she was personally cooking). Of course it wasn’t feasible for her to cook there full-time, but we haven’t been back since.

Glad to hear it’s a solid B+ or so, sounds like their staff improved / got more consistent.