Spicy food challenges, California (or anywhere!)

Oh, how funny. Yes, there is “smoked” in the name but, for some reason, I didn’t expect any smokiness from them.

I do very much enjoy mapo tofu but, for some reason, almost never get it when I go out. My mom used to make it on occasion, and I think she used a packaged mix for the mapo sauce. So that’s the “right” taste to me, and it doesn’t taste like that at restaurants! :wink: I think I like a thinner sauce.

so do some restaurants

1 Like

Ugh, I have no doubt. But, you know, if the mix is good and you add a little pizzaz on your own… But I think that’s also one of the reasons I don’t order it when I’m out.

It wasn’t meant as a disparaging remark, just a statement of fact.

1 Like

Hotville isn’t as good as rays or hotboys but it’s good. It’s damn hot too. The proof is in the

Actually the proof is in the …

Hot Poop GIFs | Tenor

Yeah, that’s what I was about to say…

@chienrouge: they don’t advertise it as hot, but skip Willie Mae’s (at least the ghost kitchen in West LA).

1 Like

Straight outta Oakland

Slightly NSFW

I’m curious about what there is in the east bay apart from Hot Boys.

There’s this

I’m sure there’s offal I’ve not yet encountered, but my mantra is “There is no bad food, only bad cooks”.

1 Like

Personally I love it when it’s done right. I’ll have crispy tripas tacos all day long.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

This may (or may not) be an interesting encounter.

Milkfish intestines two ways. Steamed and deep fried.

Next level removed from Ankimo, Japanese Monkfish liver. :slight_smile:

The papaya salad from Isaan Station on Western is one of the hottest in town. Lots of versions including raw crab, fermented fish, dry/fresh/raw shrimp, bamboo, etc.

Isaan Station Thai Street Food (isaanstationonline.com)

also some of the best thai bbq food in town and good prices

1 Like

Halal Guys have a few SoCal locations. Here is the challenge to make it to the Wall of Flame.

However, if you’re feeling like a true daredevil, a select few The Halal Guys fans have made it to the legendary “Wall of Flame” by completing the flammable “The Hot Sauce Challenge.” This involves consuming a platter with 20 lines of sauce in just 10 minutes with no water, and then surviving an additional five minutes before chugging a refreshing (and much needed) glass of water!

1 Like

very cool. I like their food. I don’t like the “white sauce” tho!

Hunan I reckon is the spiciest province in China. There are some markets in Changsha (the provincial capital) that are heaving with fresh chilies/dried chilies/chili sauces/etc.

1 Like