Spice mixes: yeh or nay?

It’s traditional in the UK to stud a Christmas ham with cloves. The usual prep is to score the ham fat into diamond shapes and stud at each intersection of the knife marks. We’ve occasionally gone down that route (but usually prefer just a honey/mustard glaze)

2 Likes

Same in the US. We also sell ham steaks which are common meals year round and cloves are are useful addition there. Not as pretty as a full ham roast but the quantity isn’t as overwhelming either.

Nothing wrong with honey-mustard glaze AND cloves.

Agree about the rascals part @shrinkrap.

If you’re ever of a mind to try something new, this is my favorite ham prep, even if already studded with cloves; I mix a generous amount of orange marmalade with about 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves, and a generous dollop of Dijon mustard to taste. Baste the ham with this several times towards the end of cook time. Really delicious - be sure to save some drippings to pass, if you wish @Harters.

Thanks, Lambchop. In the last couple of years we have done a marmalade & English mustard glaze. It’s since I started making my own Seville orange marmalade. Like the idea of incorporating ground cloves.

It’s the celery salt that distinguishes Old Bay to our nose and tongue. Ever notice that a properly made Chicago Dog’s last applied topping is celery salt ?

My mother had very few seasonings in the house when I was growing up (1950s/1960s), but celery salt was one of the few, along with garlic powder, onion powder, and oregano (and salt and pepper, of course). I genuinely can’t remember any others.

1 Like

20 percent off sale at Whole Spice right now.

Whole Spice

It often edges out the others for me because I consider it local.

Oh! Well, that’s different. Shrimp cocktail’s still a good idea, although I usually use Old Bay.

And here’s an idea for a cocktail, based on one I had at a long-defunct bar called White Palace. The drink was called a Bloody Beet, and it was basically a Bloody Mary with beet juice instead of tomato juice. I bet I could make something pretty good with beet juice and vodka infused with my (perhaps no longer) useless pickling spice mix.

Think it’s a great idea, but be prepared for the intense earthiness of the beets to come through - perhaps pickling spice would offset that for a cocktail - dunno. Trying to come up with an interesting idea for rimming the drink. Maybe one of the ingredients in pickling spice ground finely, and mixed with salt. Allspice and black pepper mainly, hmmm? Wonder how Old Bay would pair with beets, and glass could be rimmed with lime and Old Bay? Just thinking…raspberries do pair nicely with beets, as well as coconut. Food (or drink) for thought…@small_h.

Rim with salt and beet powder mix. Strain the beets twice and cut with Celery juice is how we roll.

1 Like

Interesting @Rooster - where do you source the beet powder? It would be pretty, think you could add something else really punchy to the rim though, as speculated above. Think crushed (very finely) coriander seeds would be great. Like the idea of celery juice, but think it would also need a couple generous dashes of a sweet sour pickle juice in there too. A little orange zest might be something to think about also. Will let you know if I decide to experiment - would buy a small bottle of lower end vodka to start, in the name of food and beverage science only. :upside_down_face:

Beet powder is sold in health food aisles, health food stores, def WFs and dozens of online merchants. I’d use green olive brine vs pickle. Maldon salt is chippy enough for the rim. Mixes easy with beet powder.

Id riff this version.

Thanks! Interesting on the green olive brine too, would add the tangy salt hit to offset the natural sweetness of the beets. Great ideas. BTW do you make your own celery juice or buy it? I have VM, but no juicer @Rooster.

Yes, I run it thru the power blender and strain celery.

Recipe link didn’t show when I first read your post; most definitely would try that recipe, sounds excellent. Was trying to brainstorm for @small_h, as a way for her to use up her pickling spice. Well now I can compare & contrast - 2 experiments in one!

1 Like

That’s related, but the drink as I’ve had it is not very spicy at all, and contains no tomato juice. It did have horseradish, fo’ sure. And may have used pickled beets, come to think of it.

@Lambchop I must be the only living person who doesn’t find beets very “earthy.” Maybe my tastebuds are dirt-blind. (This would explain some things.)

1 Like

I’m sure there are delicious variations out there. I really enjoy beets.

Old Bay is my must for devilled eggs and egg salad, though I ad use additional prepared mustard for both.

2 Likes

For anyone boycotting Goya:

2 Likes