Special Winter Dinner in Countryside

I acknowledge that the topic title is kind of vague, but I’m having trouble narrowing choices for a special celebration dinner in December at a creative or traditional cuisine restaurant somewhere in the French countryside, Michelin stars – and rising stars – very welcome. Seventeen years ago we loved Troisgros, and would definitely consider returning but would love to have other options to consider.

I know some of the choices are limited due to winter closings. Looking for options that also include lodging, for a special splurge.

Many thanks, in advance!

1 Like

Probably not sufficiently upmarket for you, but there’s nice food at this rural auberge.

https://www.tripadvisor.fr/Restaurant_Review-g2221530-d2215704-Reviews-Auberge_de_la_Vallee_d_Ancre-Authuille_Somme_Hauts_de_France.html

1 Like

I stayed in historic farm -hotel near Versailles on my last visit. I’ll try to find it. I don’t know if the restaurant is open year-round or only for banquets.

In Corsica https://www.murtoli.com/home-1-en.htmlhome-1-en.html

This is neat.

Le Mas Les Eydins in the Luberon was recently bought by a 3-star Michelin chef and they have a “table des Amis” dinner option.

1 Like

La Ferme de la Ruchotte, near Beaune, checks all your boxes. I can also name L’Hôtel de la Poste in Saint-Sauves d’Auvergne, Au P’tit Normand in Cambremer and its fantastic veal chops in cream, Le Lion d’Or in Arcins (Médoc), Haraneko Borda in the pays Basque, La Ferme de Pigerolles in Limousin, Comte Roger in Carcassonne, but there are many more waiting to be found out.

Aside from that, drive through the French countryside and there are plenty of Hôtels-Restaurants or Restaurants ouvriers which continue to serve unpretentious, wholesome French cuisine (for what’s the use of going to the French countryside if that isn’t for experiencing what the French countryside does best?)

You’ll get many recommendations with Michelin stars but not from me, unless they serve really good food (the stars are of secondary importance). Nowadays, nearly all Michelin food from two stars up is the same everywhere. And Michelin just demoted La Bouitte, in Savoie, which is another proof that they’re running in circles like headless chickens.

5 Likes

Some of the places that I mentioned in my recent post set out below might be of use to you. Three of them are Michelin one star — but frankly we enjoyed two of the others just as much or more:

Jake