Special celebratory dinner in Toronto

At least your server wasn’t nosy! :rofl:

1 Like

M guide? Yup. For me as well … It’s for entertainment purpose only … LOL

1 Like

Experiences at Canoe has been great for me so far … but I often try to sit at the chef’s rail …

1 Like

Which they now charging extra for (used to be the same price).

1 Like

For what it’s worth, Alo is now charging extra for their kitchen counter.

2 Likes

I think this back and forth just reinforces the notion that there is no one universally perfect restaurant for everyone.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.

― John Lydgate

3 Likes

Yes. Back to the pre-covid days when Alo used to have different menu/price for counter and dining room. Changed to the same menu during covid times up until March 2024. And April 2024 onward back to somewhat different menu again for counter and dining room … They claim they are using “more luxurious” ingredients for the counter seating menu.

2 Likes

Wow!! Toronto is getting expensive!!
Frilu $350 with compulsory beverage pairing excluding tax and tips!
Alo is now $285 excluding tax and tips!
On the other hand, I just came back from Europe. Spent ONLY $150 all inclusive of tax and tips eating an 8 course tasting menu at the 1* Hisop in Barcelona…menu featured Pigeon and Prime cut of Spanish beef!

1 Like

I think this back and forth just reinforces the notion that there is no one universally perfect restaurant for everyone.

Either that or the service/quality is inconsistent.

1 Like

Did you visit Paris?

Yes! But sadly, my son and I suffered from food poisoning…eating ousters in Barcelona. Had to cancel a few restaurants.
However, we did eat at the 5.0/5.0 Google review ( 278 ) French/Japanese fusion restaurant ’ Akabeko ', some classic traditional French bistro fare at ’ Josephine Chez Dumonet ’ and the 3* ’ L’Assiette Champenoise ’ at Reims…second best meal of the European food crawl. The best being ’ Casa Julian ’ in Tolosa, Basque country…amazing steak from Spanish breed of French Simmental. The veggie side dishes even more memorable and delicious!

3 Likes

I agree with Estufarian and with Michelin (deservingly no star). We went to Canoe with a group of foodies and with consensus we all thought the food was mediocre for the price and mostly bland. The only thing good was the view and the wines we BYO’d.

Has O & B been going downhill across the board lately?

I think the only O&B restaurants I’ve visited in the past 4 years were Shenanigans in the old Scallywags space at Yonge & St Clair, which O & B only seems to operate from late May until October, and O & B Grill at the Westin at Blue Mountain.
Shenanigans’ food is better than Scallywags used to be, which isn’t saying much.:rofl:

Scallywags used to be open year-round.

The room service from O & B Grill at the Westin at Blue Mountain was horrid.

I used to like Jump, Biff’s and Bannock quite a bit. I always found Leña disappointing.

1 Like

My last meal at an O&B restaurant was my meal at Canoe last year. I haven’t been to Bannock since it changed names and menu - used to like it. I liked Leña every time we went, but haven’t been for several years. Haven’t been to Jump, Luma, or Biff’s in many years.

1 Like

I’ve had some nice meals at Jump and Biff’s over the past two years, but feel that O&B is spreading themselves thin and a lot of their restaurants are uninteresting. Just recently they opened three restaurants at The Well, a multi-station food court at the former Richtree space at the south end of Eaton’s Centre, and The Joneses where Drake’s restaurant was (briefly) located. I haven’t gone to The Well or the EC, but have been to The Joneses, and it’s competent but really nothing to write home about.

They are clearly well-capitalized and high-functioning, but it may be past time to rein themselves in a little and focus on quality.

(Note: My last meal at Canoe was August 2021 and was very enjoyable. I haven’t been to their other high-end flagship Auberge du Pommier in many years).

1 Like

The hake and thrice-fried chips at the Dorset at the Well ($28) look promising. I’ll try them soon.