Spaghetti-O Pie Thanks to This Guy

[https://www.eater.com/2021/5/11/22430383/why-are-gross-viral-food-videos-popular-rick-lax-facebook-watch

5 Likes

During my days as a struggling college student, I remember eating canned spaghetti. I was 4 cans for $1… now that stuff was “GROSS”

SpaghettiOs actually tasted good compared to that canned spaghetti.

gives a face to the jingle ‘uh-oh spagetti-ohs’. never understood that campaign. although considering the ad it still lodged in my brain, the Madison ave. pitchmen clearly won that battle.

3 Likes

Never had the pleasure of canned spaghetti, but I remember when I was a kid it was a popular item with folks who worked too hard for too little money.

1 Like

Don’t seek it out… When something makes oodles of noodles seem like a gourmet meal, stay far away!!

If I was having a good month (financially), I would pop for the Banquet “boil a bag” dinners. Creamed chip beef and salisbury steak were my favorites (back then). You boiled the bag, then poured the contents over a slice of bread. I don’t know when they stopped making those.

2 Likes

I have been saving this can for a special occasion. It was given to me .

5 Likes

Is that red in the background a good pairing for it? :grinning:

2 Likes

That’s on my power outage shelf. When those items need rotating out, I sautee some onions, add jarred Ragu sauce and the can contents, cover with cheese, and bake. Not bad when doctored thusly but of course if there’s no power, that’s not an option.

1 Like

I picked up a butane camp stove (under $20) and used that during the last power outage. Technically you are not supposed to use them inside, but I didn’t have it on long enough to affect the air in my home.
I just boiled some pasta and opened a jar of Ragu. A cheap battery powered headlamp made for easy preparation. Not my best effort, but it was a hot meal.

2 Likes

Speaking of GROSS, the same company produced a thin yellow sauce and thick long spaghettin noodle thing that my little friends ate all the time. WTHeck was it macaroni and cheese?

1 Like

I will eat spaghetti-os OR canned Franco-American spaghetti (they are EXACTLY the same but for noodle shape) right out of the can, no heating required. Perfect for busy working through lunch no time to cook or think about food. And only a spoon to wash.

They taste the same regardless of temperature.

1 Like

there’s even a FB group devoted to it!

1 Like

Oh my goodness! So it was called Macaroni with Cheese Sauce. That cheese (?) sauce does not resemble anything my mother would have crafted. I tried reading the ingredients on the label, maybe something cheesey in there. Diff’rent strokes for diff’fent folks!:cheese:

1 Like