(Southwest) Old school burger joints

I enjoy finding burger places that have somehow survived the onslaught of fast food chains. Anyone have any favorites in the region?

A couple I like are Vicco’s Charcoalburger in Glenwood Springs, CO and Milt’s Stop & Eat in Moab, UT. Going to them is like stepping back in time. The food is pretty good, too.

We’ve driven past Vicco’s a number of times – any good? Curious to hear your thoughts on Owl Bar vs. the Buckhorn in San Antonio NM. I’m always happy to grab a green chile cheeseburger at Horseman’s Haven in Santa Fe NM.

I’ve eaten there many times and have always enjoyed the food. I’ve heard they can be inconsistent, but I guess I haven’t run into that. I’ve only had cheeseburgers, bacon cheeseburgers(which is my usual order at just about any place that offers them), fries, and onion rings. Maybe it’s because I stick to the basics that I haven’t had any problems. There’s no indoor seating, so it’s a place I go only when the weather is nice.

Despite my moniker, I’m not actually from New Mexico. Don’t really know anything about the burgers there. I do travel there occasionally, but I’m usually only there a day or two at a time, and that’s not long enough for me to deviate from the NM fare of carne adovada, enchiladas, tamales, etc. I’m much more of a fan of red chile than of green.

Interesting, your post reminded me of Little Red Hamburger Hut in Albuquerque, an old school burger joint like you’re describing. Their flagship burger is topped only with lettuce and red chile, it’s very good. (And while my over chile preference vacillates between red and green, I’m fairly steadily partial to green on a burger.)