Southwest Louisiana King Cake Guide

King Cake crawl, anyone? I do believe I’ll take one of those praline King cakes.

2 Likes

Here in New Orleans we are not lacking for king cake, but it’s interesting to read about what they do in SWLA. I have never heard of the “Zulu” king cake!

1 Like

When we stayed a few days in Lafayette, we did a food tour. My recollection is that we enjoyed all the samples we got to try, including King Cake. Although the cake was the least interesting and enjoyable of them all. Great looking decoration, for sure. But an otherwise disappointing cake which just tasted of a very generic sweet. Mrs H, who is the baker of the couple, left most of her sample.

2 Likes

Have only had them prepared locally (Houston) but my assessment is similar. Never ordered one; would probably go for the donut or other smaller sized option.

1 Like

King cakes, depending on who makes them, can be pedestrian/dry/excessively sweet, OR they can be miraculous and delightful and interesting. The one rule that must be adhered to is that king cakes should only be eaten between Jan. 6 (Epiphany) and Mardi Gras. A king cake at any other time of year is pure sacrilege.

2 Likes

I had king cake on NYE, and I am not ashamed. It was Spanish, though, so maybe the rules are different.

king cake

The guy next to me got a baby. I did not. I was sad.

2 Likes

Our host in Lafayette was a Meche’s Donut King regular if he didn’t stop for boudin when provisioning the office for the morning pot of Community Coffee.

https://www.mecheskingcakes.com/

1 Like

I had a slice of that cake last year. Too sweet for me, although some people really love it.

We have no idea about the source of our one taste in Lafayette. We remember we didn’t get to bite a ring. Thanks.

Re; Sacrilege?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/foodnews/a-houston-area-bakery-makes-king-cake-stuffed-with-crawfish-and-boudin-topped-with-gooey-queso/ar-AA17fE50?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=46a0944ef8e04c2b866834ae7e5b5a74

1 Like

I have had boudin king cake (from Bywater Bakery here in New Orleans) and it is damn good. Haven’t tried a crawfish one yet but I don’t think I’d turn it down. This weekend I’ll be making a king kugel :joy: and also a Tastykake king cake for the Super Bowl (Mr. travelmad478 is from Philadelphia). I’m pretty liberal on what makes a king cake, but I still adhere to the rule on seasonality!

3 Likes

I sure wouldn’t turn it down either. Not close to me, though.

ETA: I’d like to see that Tastykake king cake turns out!!

Envision a wreath of Krimpets on a plate, decorated purple, green, and gold sanding sugar. White-trash food at its finest! If you ping me on Monday, I will surely be able to post a photo.

2 Likes

Voila!

8 Likes

Awesome, awesome, awesome. I Love It :+1: :+1: :+1: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

I’ll have to polish my brass serving tray like that and probably can’t find the Krimpets by tomorrow… but,
wait’ll next year.

1 Like

Amazingly, one of the Walmarts around here stocked Krimpets—I didn’t realize they were even available this far from PA. The brass tray was lagniappe!

You have until next Tuesday to get this together :grin:

1 Like