Southern Living readers pick the best bbq in each southern state

Th readers’ choices list for 2024 has come out. As usual there’s one appalling choice (VA) and two big surprises (SC and MD) – which is unusual. you can google the list or go to my blog for a little commentary. Johntannersbbqblog.

Add images here

6 Likes
1 Like

I had Pierce’s once a long time ago and didn’t think much of it.

I have to say that some of the bbq in those photos looks completely unappealing. The Maryland bbq photo has some chunks of meat sitting in a deep pool of sauce, alongside creamed corn swimming in a sauce.

The two brisket photos for WVa and South Carolina look like lean cuisine, designed for people on a strict regimen.

The photos weren’t taken at the restaurants. Henry’s doesn’t sell brisket. That plate ws never near the Smokehouse Barbecue Shack. I don’t think the Lexington #1 plate was from Lexington #1 – at least I’ve never seen that much outside meat on one plate before.

The photo I appended is from Henry’s.

1 Like

Henry’s does brisket on Fridays, though I can’t tell you it’s every Friday. That photo is from the Henry’s blog.

But you make a good point that it is not typical of what they sell, so I don’t know why Southern living is using that photo.

Steve, I stand corrected. And appalled.