[South Rauceby, Lincolnshire] Bustard Inn

When you’re travelling, research is everything when it comes to getting good eats. So, a Google on “A17” and “pub” threw up several places along the road between Newark and Boston. They all looked like they could do the job but the Bustard seemed a little more gastro than the others. Good call.

There was a haslet terrine to start – basically nothing more than a thick slice of haslet, rather than the thin sandwich slices you might see for sale on a market stall. The texture and flavours are along the lines of a pate de campagne, but much more peppery. There’s bread of course and a fruity chutney quite heavily spiked with, I think, cloves. The other starter featured entirely seasonal asparagus, cooked briefly so it was still fairly crisp. Alongside, a crispy egg – set white with still runny yolk, encased in a thin crumb crisped in the fryer. A perfect plate for dunking.

Guinea fowl came two ways. A long cooked leg, with the meat literally falling off the bone and a just cooked through roast breast. A bacon, leek and potato gratin provided the carb but was a bit too much of a mush. Shredded greens and a creamy mushroom sauce set it off.

A fish finger sandwich from the “light bites” menu (mercifully not “lite bites”) was anything but. Two enormous slices of bloomer held home-made fish fingers – actually light as a feather goujons in batter – a little salad and tartare sauce. If more carbs were needed, then there’s a handful of chips.

Good lunch whichever way you look at it.

1 Like

I haven’t had haslet for years. One of my favourite things growing up our local pork butcher used to sell it. I’d order the othet three dishes as well. Indicates a good menu.

Out of interest did they have stuffed chine on the menu. I’ve not eaten it but it was mentioned as a Lincolnshire specialty on an episode of Radio 4’s The Kitchen Cabinet ( broadcast from Lincoln naturally) and it sounded right up my street.

No chine, unfortunately. I’ve not eaten it either but would certainly have wanted to try it.

Help cover Hungry Onion's costs when you shop at Amazon!

Bessarabsky Market, Kyiv. Ukraine
Credit: Juan Antonio Segal, Flickr