Source of good bread near Denny Park in Seattle?

When we visit Seattle later in the season, some of the mornings we most likely will have DIY breakfast at the hotel near Denny Park. Question, where can I get good bread around there? One thought is to walk across the park to Whole Foods, but welcome suggestions if there are mom and pop grocery near by.

And which brands to get if WF is really my only option accessible by foot? We prefer these kinds of bread versus sliced bread:

Thanks much!

2 Likes

If you have something against WF, Metropolitan Market on lower Queen Anne (1st N & Mercer) is a nice grocery store, or walk to Macrina bakery on 1st & Bell for bread.

In addition to Macrina, Essential and Grand Central are also good local rustic bread bakeries that will be in stores. Tall Grass is excellent if you go to Ballard or find them at a farmers market.

2 Likes

Columbia Bakery sources a lot of restaurants and you are likely to find their loaves in stores as well.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions, Andrea and Sasha. Indeed we’ll be going to Ballard farmers market the second day we are here. So we’ll probably grab one of Essential, Grand Central, Columbia at WF for the first morning, and then load up at Ballard the second day. Nothing against WF, just at least where I live, they carry decent bread, but not the great ones.

I am really excited to go to Ballard. Will have to try everything out and make sure to bring home some food loot :smiley: :smiley: Not exactly sure how to haul and keep all of those loot when we have a road trip later in the trip, but we’ll figure it out.

I agree, Columbia City Bakery makes excellent bread, but I didn’t know if they wholesaled to grocery stores. Do you know which ones?

1 Like

That particular WF is disproportionately prepared foods. Apparently amazon doesn’t allow people enough time off to cook?

The Met Market is much more vast in terms of actual groceries.

2 Likes

I haven’t bought bread in such a long time. I thought I remembered seeing Columbia City bread in either or both the QFC on Mercer Island (north island) or Central Market south of Everett (exit 186). So I assumed they’d be in others. Those are the only 2 markets I shop(ped) at around SEA.

1 Like

ps SCK if you can while you’re in the Ballard-ish area, don’t pass up Un Bien sandwiches, which is the offshoot of Paseo, a legendary Fremont whole in the wall with the best Cuban sandwiches. Not Cubans. But roast pork, marinated onions, garlic aioli, etc. Also have chicken, shrimp, tofu, veg on the menu.

2 Likes