Sour cherry season

Thank you! My local Metro has done it on occasion…

1 Like

Love the Fabbri Amerenas. I was searching and searching for them and really didn’t want to buy them online. Then I went to the local liquor store to buy some sherry and there they were! Ahhhh!
I’ve been making brandied cherries from our local Lambert and Lapins (the sweeter cherry variety) and sometimes from the Royal Anns for decades. The fresh cherries make for great pastires. The brandied ones go on cold treats. The liqueur goes into Flathead cherry margaritas, daiquiris or made into a glaze for a roast. Sometimes for cough syrup, medicinal use only😀

4 Likes

So envious. Have never seen the sour cherries available pitted! Never seen them frozen either.

1 Like

Not exactly the same as the frozen pitted sour cherries, canned (in glass jars) pitted sour cherries are available yearround at grocery stores that carry Polish, German and Hungarian imports. I use German or Polish canned sour cherries to make sour cherry soup in the winter.

Sour cherry soup is a popular summer soup in Hungary, and parts of Poland, Germany and Austria in the summer, using fresh sour cherries.

This caught my eye

3 Likes

In the dead of winter I’ll sometimes make a sour cherry pie filling using canned (in water) Oregon sour cherries combined with dried Montmorency cherries. It works pretty well for a hand pie, although I’m not sure I’d opt for it in a full size pie.

Unsure as to where I got that filling recipe, but I’ll post the origin it if I can find it.

4 Likes

For any of you who live close to Brooklyn, Agi’s Counter has sour cherry soup available today (probably quite often over the next couple weeks).

1 Like

That sounds interesting.
We used to keep pails of local frozen sour cherries to make pies in the winter. I live about an hour away from the main cherry growing area in Ontario.

3 Likes

I have cherry envy - lol! We planted our own trees, but they still are young. This is the first year I’ve really gotten enough to do anything with. Maybe I’ll get two quarts? It will all be over in a few days. I’m already looking forward to next year. :cherries:

2 Likes

While not an exact match to what’s in my personal notebook, this Taste of Home recipe is close and quite likely where I got the idea for using a mix of canned and dried sour cherries:

While poking around the internet, I found other pie recipes which add dried sour cherries to either fresh, frozen or canned, so it’s not a unique concept:

FYI our homegrown sour cherry pick ended today. It lasted all of five days.

4 Likes

I wanted to make sour cherry soup this year and I just plain forgot.

1 Like

Very excited. Local sour cherries are here. Got two pints.

20 minutes later after washing and pitting had one medium size bowl. Normally not big on unitasker devices but a cherry pitter really comes in handy. Looking forward to pie for dessert tonight.

9 Likes

Went picking today! Trees were loaded with gorgeous Morellos. Brought home 12 pounds. 10 pounds are destined for the freezer, but two pounds are now starting the sugar curing process - fingers crossed this works and i end up with cured cherries and luscious syrup in a few weeks!

7 Likes

Mine too! (c;

1 Like

Please report back with results. :cherries:

2 Likes

Another bounty of sour cherries! My h thinks I am a bit obsessive as I do 12 then count pits so I never miss one. Slow work but worth it to me not to miss a pit😵‍💫

8 Likes

Lol, I do them by hand with a paper clip for the same reason. Nothing worse than biting into a pit!

Yes! Bonus points for counting the pits!

Pitted a few handfuls last night to make a sauce for ice cream - 1 cup cherries, 1-2 T. sugar, cooked briefly to get the juices flowing and thickened lightly with about a teaspoon of cornstarch. Absolute perfection on vanilla, though oddly enough when I make cherry pie I prefer it without ice cream.

5 Likes

Had to use some freshly pitted mixed with peaches to ‘stretch’ the cherries. When I realized how long it takes me to get 6 cups pitted I liked the idea of peach and cherry pie. I’ve never had or made a peach & cherry pie. Waiting for it to cool.

11 Likes

Had never been a fan of peach pie until I spent a couple of weeks with a sibling in law in Auburn last Summer during the CalDor fire evac. His partner made a peach pie that absolutely blew me away (her secret… tree ripened peaches from their yard)!

1 Like