Soups in [Toronto]

I started ordering more soups again as the temps started to dip.

What are your favourites?

2 Likes

Last week, I ordered a chicken soup from Pancho y Emiliano in Kensington Market. I liked it. For takeout, the lime, herbs and onions are packaged separately.

Last night, I ordered the vegan borscht from the Heavenly Perogy. This is a more tomatoey version, with beans, less beets than the Polish borschts I’m more familiar with, that I order and make. It’s pretty good. A 12 ounce serving.

They also sell it in litre containers.

1 Like

Ramen? Swatow makes good soup.

2 Likes

I want specific recs, not general ones! LOL.

There are a couple ramen spots within a half hour walk of where I live.

Ramen Isshin at 426 College
Ajisen in Chinatown
Crafty Ramen on Ossington

I don’t really like pork broth or stock that much so I haven’t tried them yet. I was looking at the options at Tondou in Little Italy last week. It’s Okinawan-style. Maybe I will try a chicken stock-based ramen there.

Do you have a favourite order at a ramen spot?

1 Like

Cafe Boulud makes good soups.

They rotate, but I have tried their butternut squash, leek and mushroom soups. All good.

2 Likes

Ramen Isshin is good. I’ve been to the Queen St. location quite a few times. It can get very busy. The only ramen I haven’t tried is the vegetarian. I’ll have to see if I can tear myself away from the red miso bowl to order that one. Thanks to your post, I see that they also have a location in Vaughan, now. I see a noodley trip to IKEA in my near future. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

BBQ pork noodle soup from Swatow
I have a few Ramen joints in my nabe, I usually end up at Santouka but a new one just opened up so gonna give that a try, Sansotie Ramen, will report back.

4 Likes

That looks incredible!

2 Likes

I did order this after you recommended it on the What to order at Swatow thread on the old site. It was very good! I would order it again.

2 Likes

Goat pepper soup from Afrobeat Kitchen. Yes, they use alligator pepper. No, they don’t have this soup all the time so call ahead if you’re making a trip.

2 Likes

Super sexy soup!

2 Likes

Raku has been my go to lately and it’s so good I haven’t even been able to look elsewhere. Here is the ankane udon delivery from today. Have been meaning to go in try out the nabeyaki udon as that’s not on delivery apps

4 Likes

I love soups. I have a friend that doesn’t like soup at all and I don’t understand what planet he is from.

For Swatow, my favourites are shrimp dumpling noodle soup, beef stew noodle soup, and 4 kind balls noodle soup.

United Bakers Dairy has great soups . I’m always impressed how flavourful they are without the use of meat stocks. Green split pea and barley bean are particular favourites.

The chowder we had at Sea Witch recently was very good.

We really like the calamari patties with dill at Hanoi 3 Seasons. We also like the spicy Hue-style beef soup at Mi Mi.

Ramen is a complex topic that probably deserves its own thread. My favourite noodles remain at Kinton, which does the thicker, curlier noodles. Oji Seichi, Santouka, Sansotei, Raijin, Ikkousha, and Isshin are all right up there. Ryus does a great vegetarian miso version. I haven’t tried the others.

I love a good Hungarian chicken noodle soup or liver dumpling noodle soup, but will have to sample elsewhere now that Country Style has closed.

2 Likes

I like a good Central European chicken soup, as well.

I realize it’s out of the way for you. It is on the menu at Europe on Bathurst near Lawrence.

The Chicken Nest, a kosher chicken restaurant, is nearby, and they also serve chicken soup. The food was good when I dined there 20 years ago.

I don’t get to that part of town often.

The food at Europe has been great when I’ve visited, but I didn’t visit once Country Style was a 10 minute walk from my apartment.

https://www.ubereats.com/ca/store/europe-bar-and-restaurant

1 Like

I’ve been to Europe before, but not for years.

I forgot to mention the pickle soup at Hastings Snack Bar. I’m probably forgetting other soups.

1 Like

The hot and sour soup at Chung Moi(Scarborough) is the best I’ve ever had and the best in the city.
Craving it so bad rn

2 Likes

Tonkotsu black ramen from Sansotei on Yonge St. First time trying this version, I usually have shoyu, and this was excellent.

3 Likes

I was happy with my take-out udon and gyoza from Raku at 452 Queen W. I tried the Sansai tempura udon ($18 Cdn )and vegetarian gyoza because I don’t eat meat on Fridays. The vegetarian gyoza have a sharp taste, maybe daikon. I probably won’t order the vegetarian gyoza next time. The wrapper was nice, I just didn’t like the sharp taste from an ingredient in the filling.

3 Likes

Borscht from Café Polonez, which is the clear type with meat or mushroom dumplings. 5 dumplings in the bowl.Nice version.

2 Likes

Ordered the bouillon with pelmeni and the borscht from Moldova Restaurant at 5000 Dufferin near Steeles tonight. I like their borscht! The bouillon was salty and contained commercial soup base. I am trying to find a good European-style chicken soup which does not contain commercial soup base.

https://moldovarestaurant.com/

3 Likes