Something bad happened to my coffee!!

Same with my late mother and my (living :blush:) younger bro. My dad is on board with the darker roasts as well, but doesnā€™t make them as strong as we do.

Iā€™ve always blamed Char$$$ for spreading that disease to the rest of the country; and for rewriting the definition of ā€œstrong coffeeā€ as ā€œdarkā€, rather than ā€œnot wateryā€ā€¦:wink:

I like dark roasts sometimes and in some contexts - espresso or even stove-top moka pot coffee made with even a medium roast is actually kinda gross imo, and I like a darker roast without cream if I have coffee immediately after a big meal. And I think it makes better iced coffee than lighter roasts, at least when you drink it black, as I do. But for hot  coffee most of the rest of the time and coffee with cream always, I like what used to be the ā€œclassicā€ East Coast medium roast - a little lighter than whatā€™s usually referred to as ā€œCity Roastā€. And some beans, like Kona, are totally ruined if roasted dark, and fare better with a roast even slightly lighter than the historically-traditional East-Coast-mediumā€¦

Totally in agreement with you on Kona beans, which is my personal favorite, but $$$. I only buy whole bean 100% Kona when I buy it. Usually at Costco in Hawaii, and always bring back some for gifts and ourselves. After taking several coffee plantation tours and tastings over the years, I further appreciate my morning cup of Joe or two, knowing all the work that goes into it.

Have a good day @MikeG :sun_with_face:

After having been brought back Kona directly from Hawaii a couple of times and finding it amazing, I tried buying it locally, but even freshly roasted, from stores with good turnover, it was never as good, or even good enough to warrant the $$$. I think mostly because it was invariably roasted too darkā€¦ If I had the patience to really get into home roasting, I might try buying green beans and roasting it myself, but as it is, Iā€™ve resigned myself to it being a once-in-a-blue moon treatā€¦ I suspect thatā€™s also true of Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee. I donā€™t know if this is true, but Iā€™d always read that the vast majority of it was exported to Japan, and that what made it to the US, even at prices even higher than Konaā€™s, was subpar. I gave up on that even faster than local Kona because itā€™s even more expensive and to my taste, little if at all different from any other ā€œreasonably good qualityā€ coffee, but I certainly wouldnā€™t mind getting to taste the Real Thing at least once, even if it costs an arm and a legā€¦

1 Like

@MikeG, after hearing about J Blue Mtn coffee for a few years, we were gifted a pound from friends returning from their Jamaican honeymoon; I was totally underwhelmed by it, as was H. And we were, of course brewing it properly. Everyone has their own tastes, but Iā€™ll take Kona any day over anything. But then again, Iā€™ve never had the coffee beans that have been expectorated or defecated from civets or somethingā€¦ :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Me neither, and while I think itā€™s interesting and would try it if it were readily available at less-than-stratospheric prices, I have to admit Iā€™ve never felt a Massive Need to seek out ā€œkopi luwakā€ā€¦:wink: (And yes, itā€™s defecated, not expectorated, though I canā€™t say i find either, er ā€œcleaning methodā€ more or less gross than the otherā€¦)

Same here, would definitely try it, similarly, I sure do love the taste of Argan oil!

1 Like

It is quite possible that your coffee has expired or was stored incorrectly and therefore the taste has spoiled.

Welcome serenity! I hope you enjoy it here!!

I asked my husband why your coffee might have gone bad ( he is Barista) and he said that most likely you stored it incorrectly ( in an open pack) and thatā€™s why the taste changed. In order for coffee to retain its intense and rich taste, it should always be stored in a dark and closed place. This is why some people buy coffee capsules that are very convenient to use. You can try them, they are quite popular in recent times and on the market there are a lot of different types of Nespresso capsules. So Iā€™m sure you will definitely find something suitable.

Thanks. This was a while ago and it was the bag of coffee. I have a great Wilfa coffee machine so no need for the single serve cups, although they have come a long way.

As I get older (Iā€™m 70)my taste buds vary from day to day. Just a thought but probably just beans from a different crop or roast.