Some love for Chili's (Holmdel, etc, NJ)

I know there’s some love on here for Applebee’s (looking at you @notjrvedivici) so let me share my Chili’s experience. I was about to prep dinner tonight and Justin had a hankering for some quick drinks and a snack. Did not feel like driving to the Globe, and he brought up margaritas and tostadas at Chili’s. Though we live literally two minutes away from the Holmdel location, I have been here probably twice in the last 10 years. I put prep aside and we drove over. That “margarita and tostadas” turned into three for him, no margaritas for me but three Tito’s on the rocks, the bottomless tostadas, and fried “onion petals”. Since it was National Margarita Day (and Happy Hour), his were $5 while mine were $7.50. I wasn’t crazy about his coming in a plastic sippy cup but it was a solid drink and mine was a decent pour. Certainly worth the money all around…and a nice buzz!

It was around 6 pm and the place was rocking. People were lined out the door waiting for tables. We grabbed the last high-top booth at the bar. Great vibes. Families, couples, young, old. Was really having a good time. Will return.

8 Likes

So…how were the tostadas?

2 Likes

Nice report. My kid is a manager at Chili’s in Freehold. Gonna show him this … he’ll get a kick out of it!

4 Likes

I haven’t been in probably 2+ years but their smokehouse burgers were pretty good. I wish they would cook them rare but no dice on that.

Considering I’m not aware of any locally, their country fried steak is not bad. I’m sure it’s extra healthy too.

5 Likes

Just as I remember them. Never wavering (though the ones at the bottom were a tad greasy). Only had one basket.

2 Likes

Booze unites us all!!

8 Likes

I believe “tostadas” at Chilis is just fried corn tortillas. They are always awesome IMO, you can’t beat those super thin fresh fried chips.

1 Like

Yes, Joon, those freshly fried thin chips are great! My Mom (88) LOVES Chili’s, so we frequently go there for lunch. If you sign up for their rewards deals, every time you go you can get free chips and salsa. Mom loves to save her pennies!

4 Likes

Circumstances led me to dine at Chili’s near Monmouth Mall today. One of those circumstances was me wanting a booth and Chili’s delivered on that. Plus they were showing Saratoga and TVG.
Corporate cocktails and acceptable grub. Shrimp Fajitas and Brisket Burger with added bacon. I am a sucker for different meat toppings on a burger like pastrami or pork roll. Brisket here was OK. GF liked her shrimp.

5 Likes

The Holmdel location has become our go-to for a quick round when we don’t feel like driving to The Globe. I’m not a Margarita guy, so depending on who the bartender is, I’ll order a martini or something else on the rocks. Always tostadas.

4 Likes

It’s the only burger my FIL in Long Island will truly enjoy. A neighbor was just saying how much he enjoys the Monmouth Mall location.

1 Like

Here’s a not so loving post. As I said, Chili’s is far from a destination for us but it is right around the corner and after a brutal day at work yesterday for both of us, we wanted to unwind with a quick drink without going too far. This was my Tito’s on the rocks pour. No sips were taken before this pic. I can’t imagine how any bartender, chain or otherwise, would think this is okay:

An infant could have drank that.

We end up here once a month or so. I had a great martini once. Next time was disgusting. Like I don’t know how vodka/vermouth tasted like that. So I switched to rocks drinks. Can’t mess that up, right? Well, I think that was the last visit. They could at least use smaller glasses.

4 Likes

That’s interesting. If you mean the chain, we have one in our town, and it is one of the few chains that has stood the test of time, and we have a lot of chains. I haven’t been in decades, but I thought one of the reasons chain’s survive was because they were the same, every single time.

2 Likes

The tostadas are the same (that’s the extent of the food we order). The drinks are not.

2 Likes

Went once many years ago it was enough , same for AppleBee ugh

1 Like

I find Applebee’s to be the worst of the chain restaurants. At least the fajitas at Chili’s look appetizing and smell amazing. Plus the alluring sizzle. Applebee’s is literally microwaved garbage (not everything, of course). I haven’t eaten a meal at one in years-- went for drinks and apps with friends a few months ago. I ended up not wanting food, but a friend insisted I share the big appetizer sampler with him. It was enormous and of good value, but I couldn’t bring myself to eat anything besides some tortilla chips (for the microwaved spinach-artichoke dip) and a couple of boneless wings which were flavorless and had no heat whatsoever, despite him ordering them at the hottest level they have. It all just looked dreadful.

5 Likes