Some Fun with Nostalgia (Tristate)

I’m with you. The last movie we saw in the theater was Sideways. Before that it had to be several years prior. But when I was a kid I loved it. Double feature and maybe with a sneak preview and a bag of Hershey kisses. A big bag. For a quarter!

“Bob Poon” … My sisters friend who has the same last name is in the industry… I am going to ask her to find out if there is any relation.

Really is urban legend, but we might as well get the entire legend in. We all thought that the entire name stood for “Eight Jewish Korean War Vets”

1 Like

Mc’ds was built right next to cooks- that was the beginning of the end.Even though cooks was long gone when the building finally went - a p-poor nathan’s at one time. I have (probably) some of the last photos taken before the building came down. Also on the bpr- several blocks closer to mamk was the washington arms- dressy and dinner place of choice when eating out with grandparents. Would have preferred cooks

Another “urban legend” (don’t shoot the messenger) was that E.J. Korvettes stood for eight jewish kikes

I had prime rib and popovers for the first time at Washington Arms.
It was a very special place … After they closed It became Luckly Lils, a short lived Howard Johnson’s
chain. Lucky Lil’s started to appear several years after the Ground Round’s
started to pop up. I thought Washington Arms was in the building that is
currently a Montessori School.

Does anyone remember DeFemio’s on Tuckahoe Rd… My only regret is
that I didn’t get there more often because I was a tad young and more into
the disco scene. I did get there more frequently in later years. Great food, even better pizza, that
you could order until 3:00AM and good jazz … Truly a local gem

I also have memories of The Lazy Bull Steakhouse, owned by Mitty Carpenito.
at the corner of Central and Tuckahoe Rd. The Lazy Bull was open until 4AM as were most
of the discos. When the clubs would close most of the staff often would head over, it wasn’t unusual to have a full dining room at breakfast time gorging on huge platters of food prepared by MItty himself…shhhhhhsh

DeFemio’s and The Lazy Bull were more phenomenon’s than they were restaurant’s with bars… Great food, great entertainment and charismatic owners…I’m glad I was able to experience them…What great times… Westchester was a completely different place.

When The Lazy Bull closed Mitty opened another Steakhouse that was located on Central Ave
in the space that is now Hurricane Wings…I believe he opened Pastina’s for his daughter as well.

I remember the popovers,now that you mention it,and probably had prime rib too- but that made no impression- guess times have changed

Hence the title of this thread :wink:

I’m sorry to have missed China Lion. Relatives loved Tung Hoy for the lobster Cantonese, or something in lobster sauce. I remember it as being a soupy mess. Ick.

Ditto. When kids (I wasn’t one anymore needless today) started to kick the back of seats and talk loudly, I was done. I don’t miss it.

JMF, I’m not sure when the studio system lost it stranglehold on actors and theater owners, but I’m guessing it was the 1950’s.

We didn’t get to movies a lot as kids - same reason as the Belgian waffle, cheapness - but I can still remember how thrilled I was to see Nikki Wild Dog of the North (a Husky) in person at RKO. Until not so many years ago, I had an autographed - yup a paw print - headshot of Nikki :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

LOL! We were always looking for other jews back then!! There was also the store 5 Guys, which they said was 5 Guys from Harrison. Wonder if that’s true.

Was that in Mamaroneck on the Post Road? I think I ate there once. I wish they still had places that did prime rib and popovers. One of my ideas of heaven!

1 Like

I remember the Washington Arms to be a lovely upscale spot in its day, across from the harbor. The cuisine was consistent, too.
Bob Poon’s China Lion was quite good as well. Mr. Poon was more worldly in his thinking. If you requested it, he would take you on a delicious culinary tour outside his regular Chinese menu. Later on, of course, he was part of a partnership that opened modern-themed A Taste of China in the Chester Heights section of Bronxville.
And I must disagree with some assessments of Tung Hoy. It was in my opinion one of our early great Cantonese/American restaurants, while in Larchmont and Mamaroneck…

Washington Arms

1 Like

The original Tung Hoy (in the shopping center) could hold it’s own with any Cantonese Chinese restaurant of the period . Cantonese,for the most part fell out of fashion - spicier and more exotic Chinese caught on. To this day,I have yet to find a better egg roll than the one tung hoy made

The Red Coach Grill in Cross County, Howard Johnson’s crowning glory IMO,
and another place that served prime rib and popovers. They must have had
a kids portion because that is what I always ate when we went there…which
unfortunately was not often enough.

Gimbels … always with my Grandmother

There was a Horn and Hardart in Cross County? Shame, I never got there. I remember the Burger King, which apparently replaced some H&Hs.

Yes, we loved Red Coach. I didn’t realize HJ owned it. Our family went there one night - aunts, uncles and grandma and grandpa. Grandma had a new coat that she checked and when they went to get their coats, grandma’s new coat had been given to another customer!

quote=“primosprimos, post:79, topic:5591”]
There was a Horn and Hardart in Cross County?
[/quote]

Yes, there was. I loved their cheese danish!