[Some] Consumers in SF Are Willing to Pay Premium Prices for Coffee

Here’s one for bbulkow and other 3rd Wave coffee partisans to parse (and it’s nice to see a little cat fight between Four Barrel and Blue Bottle et al on this): Is any cup of coffee worth $20?

CONSUMERS IN SF ARE WILLING TO PAY PREMIUM PRICES FOR COFFEE

It involves issues of exclusivity versus sustainability, and economic justice. Jeremy Tooker of Four Barrel says “The $15 cup is about hype unless there is some social mission to it" while Ritual’s owner says paying that price is “valuing the labor that goes into it.” But does the value of a $15 pour-over trickle down (so to speak) to the source economy, or are Third World countries being exploited by Third Wave coffee roasters?

More background about the Yemeni coffee:

This story might be included in some microeconomics case study of inelastic demand: buyers do not consume more or less as the price changes. There is a home electronics brand that has succeeded for decades in part by melding readily identifiable designs with noticably high prices.

Oh, Please.

I’ll “see” your “oh, please” and raise you a “spare me”…

1 Like

Translation: Blue Bottle’s Yemeni coffee is God’s way of telling you that you are making too much money.

3 Likes

I’d pay $15 for a cup of coffee if it had single malt scotch in it, and didn’t have any coffee. Otherwise, I’d rather have a five-dollar milkshake.

3 Likes

a fool and his money…

1 Like

“Translation: Blue Bottle’s Yemeni coffee is God’s way of telling you that you are making too much money in a profession requiring either very little intelligence or far to much credulousness.” FTFY :smiley: