Soleil Ho's South Asian List [San Francisco Bay Area]

I think that it has more to do with the South Asian Community being large enough to support these more specialized Restaurants that cater to tastes from more specific Areas. I think we have sen the same thing happening with the “Chinese” Restaurants.
“Branding” seems the wrong word. They are a Maharashtrian Restaurant because they serve typical Maharashtrian Dishes.

1 Like

Their menu has Maharashtrian dishes I’ve never seen outside India (more specifically, outside the state of Maharashtra) :smiley:

Reminds me of a movie called “Shanks” (Netflix maybe?) - Chefs Table style, about a Marathi chef who opens a fine dining restaurant that elevates everyday Maharashtrian dishes. It was marketed as a documentary, but it later turned out it was a mock-umentary. Still, the food scenes are very evocative.

What are those dishes, if you don’t mind me asking? You have piqued my interest.

where is this maharastrian restaurant. Would love to go get some misal or sabudana wada or puri-bhaji. I do miss Prakash in Mumbai (a great maharatrian place that is worth a visit in Mumbai)

I’d say most of what’s on the menu is maharashtrian, with a couple of dishes and desserts added for people who want something “familiar” ie North Indian.

Easier to say what isn’t Maharashtrian (though it may still be good) - anything paneer, fries, biryani (though bombay biryani is a thing, or they may have renamed a differed spiced marathi rice dish), rasgulla, gulab jamun, naan. So only a few things.

As someone who can’t handle spicy food I’m always looking for authentic Indian food that is authentically not spicy (spiced but not spicy). The menu at Puranpoli looks amazing. Any chance I’d be able to handle any of their savory dishes? I might have to go down just to try the Modak at the very least.

What does that mean?

hahaha

At any Indian place, just ask.

Spice does not equate with heat or chilli - meaning everything spiced isn’t spicy, so it’s not just the dessert section that you can eat, lol.

(That said, avoid the Misal dishes - they are definitely spicy hot!)

1 Like

Some Dishes are not very “authentic” if they are not very Chili hot. Andhra Pradesh Kerala, Goa and West Bengal all have Dishes that you expect to be very Chili hot if made traditionally.

3074b Scott Blvd, Santa Clara, CA 95054

I have the opposite problem. I love the things hot, but as a white guy, Indian restaurants always seem wary when I asked for things spicy - I think they’re worried I’ll send it back. It took a few visits before my local place got to know me and now they aren’t afraid to bring the heat.

Well I think Saregama understood. What I mean is, if the dish is made authentically, it is still not spicy, as in chili hot. I don’t want the food to be watered down for western pallets but since I can’t handle the chili I just have to look out for dishes that aren’t traditionally spicy.

For sure. That is why I asked. Same problem for me with Thai food. I wish I could eat the real stuff, but so much of it is based on chili mixtures. I love fermented flavors, for example, and if you go to a “whited” down Thai restaurant you aren’t going to get any of that.

Thanks. Good tip on the Misal dishes.
Are their Kothimbir Vadi chili hot by any chance? I see green chili is a common ingredient in recipes but the amount used, I assume, would vary from place to place.
Thanks!

I think I am going to give this place a try this week.