Soleil Ho is the San Francisco Chronicle's new restaurant critic!

I’m a fan of the Racist Sandwich podcast. I can’t wait to read her first review.

4 Likes

excerpt:

Ho expects to start at the Chronicle in mid-January. She brings a wealth of experience to the job despite her relative youth. At age 31, she’s a trained chef who has worked at restaurants in New Orleans and South Minneapolis; a freelance writer for various publications (including Bitch Media, the New Yorker and GQ); co-author of “Meal,” a “graphic novel on culinary mentorship, queer romance, and eating insects”; and co-host of the influential “Racist Sandwich” podcast. In the latter role, Ho has spent a fair amount of time in San Francisco, exploring its diverse and legendary restaurant scene.

highlights:

• topics discussed include cultural appropriation, tech companies vacuuming up culinary talent, and Studio Ghibli’s depictions of food

• She loves regional Chinese cuisine, especially Xian-style food

• big fan of Ethiopian food

• interested in Peninsula and East Bay

The audio of her 1/2 hour with MIchael Krasny on KQED Forum should be posted soon.

I love her already.

• She loves regional Chinese cuisine, especially Xian-style food, which she finds “really compelling and delicious. I just love a wheat bun.”

• Ho hasn’t been in the Bay Area long, but she mentioned already eating at Dyafa, Reem Assil’s Middle Eastern restaurant in Oakland; Slanted Door (“I do prefer the little Vietnamese restaurants, no offense to Charles”); and Beauty’s Bagels (“pretty good”).

She won’t bother with the anonymity charade, she will spend more time in the East Bay, and never once mentioned Cal-Italian or tasting menus.

An she has such a lovely, evocative name.

1 Like

P. S. She’s also the creator of the Racist Sandwich website and Podcast, which I became enamored of recently as well.

1 Like