So, this happened....

Oops, you’re right. :grimacing: I was thinking of yanagiba.

Yes, but maybe fireclay cutting boards? I think the coarser-grit will promote greater interest in learning at-home knife sharpening… :grin:

Maybe tell them that they can use the cutting boards to sharpen their knives.

1 Like

So… I just got contacted to make a knife as a birthday gift. When I asked what kind, the answer was one for slicing/carving large cuts of meat! :expressionless: Maybe my next knife will be a sujuhiki?? :laughing:

1 Like

I guess both sujuhiki and kiritsuke can serve as craving knife. I read carving knife used to be a symbol of statue. Here is an idea for you. You should start to sell matching craving fork. :slight_smile:

You should ask how large cuts of meat and what. Maybe you should make one as long as a Maguro bōchō. Ha.

2 Likes

His comment at the end really resonated with me:

“If you love it, you’ll teach yourself.
If you don’t love it, others teach you.”

1 Like

Yeah. Kind of a simple truth, but often overlooked.

1 Like

Interesting that people asked. I rarely use a paring knife. I can’t think of anything I use it for other than garnish such as tomato roses. For me a vegetable peeler does everything else a paring knife might do. Horses for courses.

2 Likes

My dad uses a paring knife for everything, and it makes me crazy! Gifted him a nice chef’s knife 35 or so years ago; he recently gave it back to me, totally unused as far as i could tell.

I do use a paring knife for many things, such as cutting the ends off radishes as I’m cleaning them, green onions, small fruits and the like. I also use them for small lemons or limes, if I’m just trying to get a couple slices. If doing en masse, would use a bigger knife.

2 Likes

I didn’t use to use a paring knife, but after getting one, it is useful (not a must) for smaller tasks. Jacques Pepin is one of the few I know who extensively uses the utility knife.

2 Likes

Love Jacques! I always used to keep a largish paring knife in a desk at work, for peeling and cutting up apples, or other fruits. Came in very handy for lots of stuff actually @Chemicalkinetics.

@Auspicious, I agree, especially since I can’t afford to drop the price very much. They take just as much time to make, which is most of the cost involved!

I only use my 4" parer for cutting larger fruits (like peaches), and I probably use my 3-1/4" parer only once a year. :grimacing:

My dad did the same! :smile: One of the last times I visited him at his home, it was shortly after I had started sharpening and repairing damaged knives. I realized his paring knife was so dull that I couldn’t tell which side was supposed to be sharp! :grimacing:

1 Like

My pet peeve when being at other people’s houses and using their knives. Good lord, no wonder a lot of people think they don’t like to cook, because they can’t even get their ingredients cut up! I take my own couple of knives sometimes and when traveling, if staying in a condo or VRBO house.

A lot of people get quite alarmed seeing me with big knives, like they think I should be using a paring or very small chef’s knife. Silly. I’ll try to pm the pics to you later today @Eiron.

3 Likes

This is about all that I use a paring knife for: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi2K-D70UPY . I use a chef’s knife for garnishes like bunnies from olives or grapes or pigs from lemons.

Someone asked if you had considered sharpening stones as an accessory. I’m a tri-stone guy myself. grin

Something that might have more return would be small knife rolls or cases for travel. The rolls I have found are way too big for what I carry - generally a chef’s knife, a serrated bread knife, and a steel. Currently I wrap the blades in a side towel and rubber band them closed. If you can find a seamstress or canvas maker who can whip them out on demand you won’t have to tie up money in stock and can upcharge for custom. I’d buy one. I’ve put a lot of thought into this so holler if you think there is merit in the idea. dave@auspiciousworks.com

2 Likes

My husband, who’s 6’4", tends to grab the paring knife for almost any task. Drives me nuts when he takes one to cut the meat off the thanksgiving turkey, usually a 20+ pounder, but I try to remind myself that his knife skills come from being a Boy Scout (he attained Eagle status), and not a cook or chef. I like a wide variety of knife, although I’m nowhere near as knowledgeable as the rest of the folks on this thread. Whatever works, I guess.

1 Like

Oh that is funny about your H, especially with the turkey @ewsflash. I guess he’s got a lot of company it seems, like my dad…

1 Like