So let's talk - What is your favorite cake and where do you get it? (Westchester, CT and LI)

Yes, but not for a while. It was very good though. I did have some kind of mocha concoction!

Yes, then I know where it is
S&S has often been a last minute pit stop on holidays or for last minute invites when everything else is closed. The little deli/bodega next door always has them on hand in their fridge!

1 Like
                                                                                                                                                                                         Winecountrygirl

I haven’t had it in years, but La Renaissance in Scarsdale makes a signature cake " La Renaissance" that is wonderful, have you ever tried it.

Is Carrot Top’s icing cream cheese , is it overly sweet?

Sorry - did I miss something? I thought we were talking generally about what kinds of cakes we like, not just ones from a particular geographic area. If I misunderstood - apologies!

Ooops! Now I see that it was about cake in Westchester CT and LI. Oh well - at least I got to mention my grandmother’s dobos torte on HO. Sorry all!

It was changed after the fact … I’m trying to start a general "what’s your favorite cake " thread, but don’t know where to do it. Thank you for posting here … I had a Hungarian grandmother too, amongst other things she made a poppy seed cake, that was crazy good.

Great thread! More love for Lloyd’s. I used to work down the street from them (and near the old Stella D’Oro factory too - may it rest in peace!) - those two years surely tested my restraint! :slight_smile: Lloyd’s carrot cake is very memorable. Their red velvet is good too, but carrot is what makes them famous.

Flour & Sun in Pleasantville makes a yummy strawberry cake - butter cake with fresh strawberries mixed in and a strawberry buttercream frosting. It’s so good, I’ve tried to recreate it at home. In the summer, they offer it as a cupcake, but you can special order the cake or cupcakes any time of the year.

1 Like

Try putting it under general.

3 Likes

There are pie people and there are cake people. I’m a pie person, so I don’t have a favorite cake. Except maybe an apple cake with plenty of apple chunks 'cause it’s almost like a pie. For example:

2 Likes

Speaking of cakes. I had Tarte tropezienne in Provence this past winter for the first time and loved it. Has anyone seen this in Westchester?

3 Likes

Definitely have not seen anything like it,and my waist is thankful. I would guess either La Tulipe or jean jacques might be willing to make it or some place in nyc.

2 Likes

Good call on La Tulipe. I haven’t seen it at Jean Jacques. I’m a little embarrassed to admit how many I ate in my short time there. Dorie Greenspan has a recipe for it but I haven’t attempted it yet!

There is also L’Anjou in Mt kisco - behind Boston Market. That looks wonderful and one I have not heard of - what is it?

2 Likes

It’s basically a brioche filled with pastry cream topped with coarse sugar. I guess it straddles the line between pastry and cake but I think of it as a mini cake-- although it also comes in a large 8-9" round size too.

I’ve never been to L’Anjou! Will definitely have to check out!

Sounds great

The stuff is very good at L’Anjou - La Tulipe may be a bit prettier, but L’Anjou is very tasty.

2 Likes

It looks like a vanilla whoopie pie with sprinkles of some kind - say that could be the next big trend L

1 Like

I totally missed this! You can still get a fantastic ice cream sandwich cake from Sherry B’s in Chappaqua. Unfortunately, they closed their cafe in favor of opening a bigger operation in Manhattan, but they still have limited hours (12-3 on most days) and they have smaller ice cream sandwiches ready for purchase). Just call them for a larger order like a sandwich cake. I got to have a piece at my son’s friend’s party and it was absolutely scrumptious!