Snow Day Cooking, New Jersey

What is everyone cooking today for the big blizzard?

I’m planning on making this later: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/moroccan-chicken-with-eggplant-tomatoes-and-almonds-109146

I work from home so no snow day for me. Doubtful my food delivery comes today so it will be leftovers for me

This sums up my food day today. While I made chocolate chip pancakes for the family, I had shredded wheat as I am old and need my fiber. I have 4 ripe avocados that I will make into guacamole to top fresh grilled quesadillas for lunch. And dinner is on Cincinnati with all the fixins for chili up to 5 way and also some brats to top with it if anyone prefers.

If anyone needs me I’ll be curled up with four cats in the house today :relaxed:

2 Likes

It’s gotta be soup on a cold day. I made something similar to this:

It’s normally a Korean beef radish soup but I made it with a mix of beef and pork stock I had saved up. Radish, leeks, scallions, garlic, mushrooms, hot chili and some pork. Seasoned with soy sauce and fish sauce, and a little kombu for some extra msg goodness.

That sounds amazing! YUM!

Cranberry muffins this morning. Minestrone or gumbo this afternoon.

1 Like

I’m sorta hating you right now, @joonjoon ! I took some of my (YAWN–so boring compared to that) turkey/barley soup out of the freezer.

Fresh, hot, instant ramen :laughing:

1 Like

Mmm I love barley soup!! Trust me this soup ain’t very exciting either! I’ll bring you some if you want!

1 Like

Looks excellent!! What kind of ramen?

Hong Kong version.

1 Like

I made some soup too, but not based on any classic recipe. Just some lamb, mushroom, vegetable…

1 Like

Come on? Original flavor?

1 Like

What’s the difference between the HK version and the Japan version?

Little late seeing this here was my snow day comfort foods;

Gravy, Meatballs, Sausage, Braciole, chicken & thin sliced/pounded pork cutlets.

3 Likes

Next storm I say we all go to your house! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I made “Mrs Armstrong’s” Jamaican curry with oxtail. Mrs. Armstrong is a Jamaican woman Mr. Sprout used to work with. She made the best curry and passed long her recipe to me. I usually make it with chicken but happened to have some oxtail in the fridge. When given the choice, oxtail will always beat out chicken.

2 Likes

Recipe please??

1 Like

Here you go:

Mrs. Armstrong’s Chicken (as written)

Ingredients:
Chicken
Curry
Chick Pea (can cooked)
Garlic
Scallions
Salt
Lime
Onion

Cut up chicken into pieces. Wash with lime. Season with 2-3 cloves of garlic, crushed, 2-3 blades fresh scallion, chopped fine., salt to taste and 1 tablespoon curry. Let marinate.

Heat about 1 pot spoon of cooking oil. Brown until golden 2-3 cloves of minced garlic and 1 chopped onion. Immediately add 1 tablespoon curry powder. Stir quickly and add chicken mixture. Cook on very low flame until chicken is tender.

Drain 1 can of chicken pea. Add to the chicken 10 minutes before chicken is done.

With the oxtails, I omitted the lime but I rubbed the pieces with garlic, curry, salt and pepper. Browned them in the slow cooker, with additional curry power. I wanted them a little saucier so I added one can of coconut milk. The curry powder I had on hand (Emma Brand Jamaican Curry Powder) was a little bland and mild for my taste so I added some allspice and cayenne. I cooked them on low for a bout 6 hours.

Served with cabbage, carrots and onions, sautéed together until very browned. Mr. Bean likes his with Jamaican Choice Hot Pepper Yellow Sauce as it is the closest to the one Mrs. Armstrong’s husband used to make. I prefer their Calypso Hot sauce.

Needless to say, its one of those recipes you make your own.

Simple! I’m surprised there are no other additions. I love a good Caribbean curry! Mmm, I bet it was awesome with oxtail. Thank you!!