smtucker passing

I happened to see this on Chowhound just now, and thought I’d post it here since Susan was such a vibrant presence on this board in the not-too-distant past.

Condolences to her family and to all she touched.

12 Likes

I didn’t have the pleasure but sure do admire a life well lived!

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing that. Very sad news. Have thought of her often since she stopped posting.

4 Likes

Yes, I have as well. She lived a pretty amazing life.

3 Likes

Thanks for posting this. Sad news.

She used to post on WFD thread (here). She said she was having health problems and was taking care of a relative who also had health problems.

4 Likes

Sorry for the news. I remember her as a very active and energetic cook, she operated an Airbnb. Only 61 years young. She will be greatly missed, may her soul rest in peace.

@bear Thanks for sharing the news.

5 Likes

@sck

Can we create a board for members’ news in HO?

2 Likes

Oh, I am so sorry to hear this. I was always glad for smtucker’s posts. Her voice helped make this community a kind and an interesting place when she was a presence here.

Peace and light be to her and to everyone in her circle.

6 Likes

Me, too, and I had wondered how she was doing when she stopped posting. An amazing life, she will be missed here and elsewhere. Deep sympathy to her family…her love for her daughter and grandchild and husband was so glowing, and I was always impressed with her cooking accomplishments. We figured out a few years ago that I live only a few blocks from where she lived and we were going to try for a dried chile exchange but it didn’t work out. I wish I had met her in person.

5 Likes

RIP @smtucker - what a loss! I had no idea she was affiliated with the Powers Music School - I may actually have met her a few years ago when I did a competition there and never realized it. Condolences and much sympathy to her family and “real life” friends. She will be missed here.

5 Likes

RIP @smtucker. Condolences to her family.

3 Likes

If memory serves, this type of post has generally appeared in either Site Talk or the relevant regional board.

3 Likes

My condolences as well. I read many of her posts long before posting myself. Always enjoyed them, and thought they had a particular gentleness to them.

I also knew she was sick, had treatments that made her feel awful, but still did an amazing amount of kitchen work. What an example to us all.

4 Likes

Site talk sounds good. Regional board can be difficult to search some time later with overwhelming of threads.

2 Likes

@LindaWhit brought Susan’s death to my attention late last night via @beetlebug. These are the last discussions I had with / about smtucker. I like to think that someone eulogizing her would say that she had good taste in food and otherwise. I hope her last days were happy ones, somehow surrounded by family during this dreadful quarantine.

6 Likes

This. Thanks for the personal remembrances, digga. I didn’t know her outside of this board, but always had a sense of her talents and gifts. I, too, hope that she was surrounded by those she loved and was loved by.

3 Likes

I joked with her years ago on CH that whenever I saw her handle I thought of Smucker’s -as in the jam. She laughed back and said a lot of people do. RIP Susan. Looks like you lead a good life.

5 Likes

There’s a state senator named Susan Tucker. It took me a couple of years to determine that they weren’t the same person. I always found “ours” to have valuable opinions and recommendations. While it’s true that breast cancer is no longer as dire a diagnosis as it was a generation ago, it still claims a large number of women, and some men as well.

4 Likes

I remember Susan’s posts on CH and here on HO. She had an amazing life and her contributions to HO will be missed. And I also “saw” Smuckers when I’d see her online handle. :slightly_smiling_face: My condolences to her family.

6 Likes

oh, that’s sad. RIP.

3 Likes