Smarties and candies

I used to work for a guy who was a gummy bear connoisseur – his constant request when I made working trips to Europe was to bring him bags an bags of Haribo gummy bears – but they had to be the ones made in Germany, not Spain or Italy.

As kids, we would collect chestnuts & acorns every year in early November in exchange for Haribo.

The Riegel family owns several hunting grounds and would use them as feed. A 78-yr. old tradition.

There used to be a crisp (chip) factory nearby. We only noticed it if the wind was in the wrong direction. The smell of some flavours were vile - you’d easily spot “roast chicken”. Although, it did mask the smell of the sewage works that was almost next to the factory and which were also vile with the wrong wind.

Ya know, I was pleasantly surprised by the roasted chicken flavor crisps when I tried them. Perhaps I was expecting the worst :smiley:

I once spent a warm week in Gilroy, California… the “garlic capitol of the world”. Pungent memory.

Certainly taste waaaay better than the smell.

I confess to having a real thing for prawn crisps – and I’m guessing that smelling the production of same would put me off them forever!

I was selling deals to High Net Worth individuals in Germany 20+ years ago and we drove to the factory.It was in a small town and as you approached the village you could smell the sugar in the air. The front of the factory was buzzing with activity; making the bears and then you entered the back where the family executives worked.It was filled with beautiful Persian rugs and antiques. They gave us lots of bags to eat on the drive to our next stop.

20+ years ago, that ‘small’ town was the capital of Germany.

ETA: Maybe not. After all, everything moved to Berlin in '90. Whoa. That was 25 years ago. #nevermind.

1 Like

I <3 Bonn – I used to stay in a hotel right next door to the pink Rathaus – I loved that such an important city DID feel like a small town.

It’s a great place to grow up - perfect for kids, families & old folks.

Mr Kipling? Me too, at the Eastleigh site. I made pink goo for Battenbergs in 1979 to boost my budget as an undergrad at Southampton University. The main wheeze was to loosen the jubilee clip on the pink goo pumping pipe and stand back, waiting for the inevitable disaster. We then got an hour off whilst the cleaners put things to rights. Happy memories of cheap misshapen Bakewell Tart!

The thing is,it was not Bonn.I think it was up near Hanover. One group was heading back to Duesseldorf and I had them drop me at the train station to go to Frankfurt.

I worked on a documentary, many moons ago, on the making of Cadbury’s Cream Eggs. The area with the yellow and white goo just oozed sugar, after an hour or so we all felt nauseous, by the end of the day positively close to gagging. I’ve never eaten one since.

When I was a kid my grandmother lived across the 59th street bridge and there was a Silvercup bread factory. Ah, the smells going to grandma’s house!! Oh, yeah, and in her house too for her great cooking!

My partner loves 'em. Me? Can’t stand them - I thinks it’s the ooziness

Now, Cadbury’s Mini-Eggs - that’s a whoile different matter. I can be very greedy over them.

1 Like

Musta been an outlet, then. Solingen probably.

those are the super-gross ones we used to throw out after trick-or-treating because we had the GOOD smarties!

I think I had the good smarties :slight_smile:

1 Like

British Smarties are the best, British chocolate takes the cake (or biscuit) over American chocolate any day :wink: