Slanted Door in Napa!

It’s been years since we went to the one that was in the Ferry Plaza, but we remembered it fondly, and were excited to visit the one in Napa.

This was a limeade cocktail . Daughter said it was strong…and had two!

Kind of dark.
This was a pineapple spritzer “mocktail”. Refreshing.

I realy enjoyed this yellow tail appetizer with crispy shallots. I would have appreciated a larger portion, but shared .

Smoked ribs made famous at the ferry plaza location; our group of 5 enjoyed two prtions of these.

Shrimp and scallion dumplings in a really springy wrapper. What makes it bouncy/springy like that?

A trio of hot sauces, each one spicier than the one before. Chili crisp, siracha, salted chili.

Daughter had the lemongrass tofu, which she loved.

Shaking beef,
; cape grim grass fed tenderloin, watercress, red onion, lime. Deservedly famous. Son wondered if tenderloin was usually this tender. Yes, and this one was flavorful too!

Husband had lobster special with two pounds easy to eat poached lobster, with chili lobster oil and a nice sauce. The lobster was handled nicely and you could taste it’s flavor, but husband wanted more Vietnamese flavor.

Deserts were a very rich chocolate tart, a coconut milk panna cotta, and beignets with a ?yam sauce. I don’t remember the name of the yam but I think I saw them on Top Chef.

Couldn’t pass on the famed clay pot chicken so we had it to go. Tasty but husband was hoping for white meat. :thinking:

“SERVICE CHARGE
A 20% SERVICE CHARGE WILL BE APPLIED TO ALL CHECKS AS GRATUITY. 100% OF THIS GRATUITY GOES TO OUR EMPLOYEES.”

Take that tipping culture!

$650 all in, a bit less money, and I think more fun than the trip to Vegas we ended up canceling.

20 Likes

Looks delicious!

I’ve had his books out from the library a few times and the pics make you want to jump right into the page!

Love Bo luc lac. I’d eat everything you ordered PLUS the imperial rolls and the cellophane noodles :joy:

Maybe tapioca flour?

3 Likes

That’s what I was thinking! DIL had the cellophane noodles but I didn’t get a picture.

We kept saying we were full, but kept right on eating.

ETA it was a two pound lobster, poached , not two pounds of poached lobster.

6 Likes

Usually in combo with Wheat Starch to make that kind of Wrapper.
The Wrappers made 100% Tapioca are clearer and more chewy

2 Likes

And sticky!

1 Like

Neat! I went to the one on the Pier in October 2010! I ordered the cellophane noodles with crab.

Yep almost always dressed with scallion or shallot oil

As a dinner reservation fell through before we had a chance to order any dishes in a restaurant in Napa (sometimes a hostess can be very incompetent), we were in need to find a good dinner place late in the evening. Looking over the possible options we remembered that Slanted Door https://slanteddoor.com/napa recently opened here and didn’t close early (which tends to be a problem in Napa). Even though we arrived after 9pm there was no rush and we enjoyed a really good dinner over the next two hours (with Charles Phan sitting at the next table with a few friends). Like many higher end Asian restaurants Slanted Door often gets criticized for being too expensive as too many people associate “ethnic” cuisine with cheap ingredients and prices. But dishes like shaking beef with quality meat (and its price) show how much better ingredient elevate a dish. Overall great night and time for us to also visit their SF restaurant.

Scallop tartare - hokkaido scallops, leeks vinaigrette, toasted sesame, rice cracker

Crispy vegetarian imperial rolls - tofu, taro root, cabbage, vermicelli noodles, roasted peanuts

Daikon rice cakes - preserved daikon, picked turnip, sweet chili sauce

Jasmine rice

Shaking beef - cape grim grass-fed tenderloin, watercress, red onion, lime

Chicken claypot - heritage loong kong boneless chicken, shallots, thai chili, ginger, chili caramel sauce

Bok choy - stir-fried shanghai bok choy, shiitake mushrooms

Lemongrass tofu - hodo soy five pressed tofu, shiitake, roasted chili sate

Chocolate hazelnut tarte - valrhona dark chocolate, candied hazelnuts, whipped cream diplomat

Panna cotta - Coconut, mango, pineapple, black sesame crumble, macademia nut tuile

8 Likes