Site maintenance at 9:30pm PT tonight

Site maintenance at 9:30pm PT tonight / 5:30am GMT/ 12:30pm (UTC+8) tomorrow. Access will be intermittent/ down for about an hour. We will be upgrading server/ forum software.

Onion only large transparent

1 Like

@hungryonion Thank you for all of your hard work behind the scenes.

6 Likes

We also did some tuning of the forum software, now fully utilizing the capability of the server. So for me the site seems much quicker than before. Hopefully this is also true for everyone here.

4 Likes

Unfortunately, as is common with their updates, they broke compatibility with a lot of older browsers and, therefore, some older devices (one phone and one tablet for us.) I’ll have to wait until I get a newer device (again) before using HO on mobile. I know there’s nothing you can do about it, it just is what it is. I don’t like to" toss" devices that are working perfectly fine. I don’t do anything on my phone that would require up-to-date security. Our other phone is kept up-to-date for all those things.

On my desktop, I haven’t noticed any speed up or slowdown with this latest update, about the same. To be honest, HO was blazingly fast for me when it first started. That was the number one feature that attracted me here to begin with. Then it got slower as the years progressed. Maybe it’s just that there is more content now and it’s not necessarily the software rewrites/updates. It’s still faster than the new Reddit for me, though, so that’s a plus.

2 Likes

I agree. Especially with this update the mobile version on phone becomes desktop version for me. People using forum aren’t high tech people that has the latest phone. The desktop version on phone makes it difficult to post.

I noticed a preloader when the site starts loading, like a few second with a blank site just the loading words.

1 Like

This happened to me, for some other reason, but I’ve learned that you can go back to mobile screen lay out. Look for the two waves top right of the screen, on your phone, and you will see a button offering you to switch between desktop and mobile lay out.

jkvjchvh

1 Like

I tried, but it remains desktop. I checked another iphone with newer OS , the layout is mobile, so it’s related to they decide probably to ditch the support for older systems.

2 Likes

Mobile version comes back to my phone now. Maybe it was some cache problem or a bug.

1 Like

I’m treating it as a feature now. My issue has always been when traveling or in a low service area, I can’t load full threads to read later. Well, the barebones interface I get since the update is very low resource and loads full threads. In fact, I’m now trying to figure out a way to get the low resource interface on newer devices. When life gives you lemons…

2 Likes