[Singapore] Two Nights in Singapore, What to Eat?

Any must-vistis?

I live in KL and have been generally unimpressed with Singapore’s offerings: just overpriced versions of what I get back in KL/Ipoh/Penang.

And Andre/Odette just reminded me of ‘trying-too-hard’ meals I had when I lived in NYC/London.

Anything that is truly different/interesting/unique in Singapore? I’ll be bringing my wife’s family (Korean).

Makansutra Gluttons Bay is a good place to start.

Generally, Singapore and Malaysia have slight variations of the same list of foods - but, personally, I go for these hawker food items in Singapore:

1. Curry noodles from either Heng Kee or Ah Heng (both at Hong Lim Food Centre).

2. Hainanese chicken rice from Boon Tong Kee, Balestier Road. Hainanese chicken rice in Singapore are generally much better than those in Malaysia.

3. Rojak from Whampoa Food Centre, also at Balestier Road.

4. Chwee kway (steamed rice cakes) at Jian Bo Shui Kuo stall, Tiong Bharu Food Centre. The food centre also has good stalls selling Hainanese chicken rice, roast pork, etc. Also, Koh Brothers Ter Huang Kiam Chye has the rare Teochew pig’s innards/salted vegies soup which Singaporeans drive across the island for.

5. Chili crabs (you can’t find the same taste in KL or anywhere in Malaysia, nor the quality). Get them at Long Beach on Dempsey Hill, Palm Beach at One Fullerton or No Signboard at the Esplanade.

6. Nyonya food. The version in Singapore is totally different from the ones in KL (which is Penang-influenced) and, although similar to Malaccan ones, is much superior (quality-wise) to what you’d find in Malacca. Good Nyonya eateries include True Blue on Armenian St, PeraMakan at Keppel Country Club, Guan Hoe Soon on Joo Chiat Place and Ivins at Binjai Park, Bukit Timah.

These are some food items which you can try for a start.

2 Likes

Thanks, as always, Peter. I am going to focus on the Nyonya stuff I think, as I feel like I haven’t had great versions in KL. Those all sound like solid suggestions.

Same with the Chicken Rice.

Gluttons Bay is new to me as well, so think that will be a great place to bring the fam!

1 Like

You’ll definitely get better Nyonya food in Singapore. KL is never a place for Nyonya food as it’s not native to the city/state, and Malaysians can be very parochial when it comes to local cuisine.