Miami-based restaurateur John Kunkel’s crazily-popular Yardbird has opened its first outpost outside the United States at Marina Bay Sands on 3 July.
Its main atttaction is Lewellyn’s Fine Fried Chicken, prepared using a 100-year-old family recipe, which included brining the chicken for 27 hours. We had dinner there and it was the expected, rich Southern comfort food - the sort that weighs a ton in your stomach
Our dinner last Friday:
- Buttermilk Biscuits, with honey butter, house-made jam.
- Shrimp ‘n’ Grits - seared shrimp, roasted tomatoes, aged country ham, red onions stone ground polenta, chicken jus.
- Lewellyn’s Fine Fried Chicken -1/2 a chicken (marinated using a 100-year-old recipe and dee-fried), served with honey hot sauce.
- Skillet Cornbread, with sharp cheddar cheese, bacon, jalapeño, honey butter.
- Collard Greens, with cider vinegar & pork cracklins.
- Sea Island Red Pea Succotash, with local vegetables, garden pesto.
- Banana Pudding - rum-soaked banana cake, chantilly cream, fresh bananas vanilla wafers.
I need to come back another time to try its chicken & waffles. This is one of only two places to offer Southern-style cuisine, besides The Beast in the Kampung Glam area.
The Bird Southern
B1-07, Galleria Level
The Shoppes at Marina Bay Sands
10 Bayfront Ave
Tel: +65 6688 9959
Operating hours: 11am-4pm for lunch Mon-Fri,
4pm-11pm for dinner daily.
Weekend brunch (Sat & Sun): 8am-4pm.