[Singapore] Southern comfort food at Yardbird, Marina Bay Sands

Miami-based restaurateur John Kunkel’s crazily-popular Yardbird has opened its first outpost outside the United States at Marina Bay Sands on 3 July.

Its main atttaction is Lewellyn’s Fine Fried Chicken, prepared using a 100-year-old family recipe, which included brining the chicken for 27 hours. We had dinner there and it was the expected, rich Southern comfort food - the sort that weighs a ton in your stomach :smiley:

Our dinner last Friday:

1. Buttermilk Biscuits, with honey butter, house-made jam.

1. Shrimp ‘n’ Grits - seared shrimp, roasted tomatoes, aged country ham, red onions stone ground polenta, chicken jus.

1. Lewellyn’s Fine Fried Chicken -1/2 a chicken (marinated using a 100-year-old recipe and dee-fried), served with honey hot sauce.

1. Skillet Cornbread, with sharp cheddar cheese, bacon, jalapeño, honey butter.

1. Collard Greens, with cider vinegar & pork cracklins.

1. Sea Island Red Pea Succotash, with local vegetables, garden pesto.

1. Banana Pudding - rum-soaked banana cake, chantilly cream, fresh bananas vanilla wafers.

I need to come back another time to try its chicken & waffles. This is one of only two places to offer Southern-style cuisine, besides The Beast in the Kampung Glam area.

Address
The Bird Southern
B1-07, Galleria Level
The Shoppes at Marina Bay Sands
10 Bayfront Ave
Singapore 018956

Tel: +65 6688 9959
Operating hours: 11am-4pm for lunch Mon-Fri,
4pm-11pm for dinner daily.
Weekend brunch (Sat & Sun): 8am-4pm.

4 Likes

Back here for lunch last Monday. It’s been re-branded Yardbird (as with other outlets in the chain), but all else remained the same.

Started off with Deviled Eggs, prettily presented and with a pronounced mustard accent in its reconstituted yolk part, enriched with dill, chives and smoked trout roe.

For main, I had the Chicken ‘n’ Watermelon ‘n’ Waffles - the Southern-style fried chicken was reputedly the best in Singapore: crisp-battered, encasing moist, juicy chicken. The two sides of spiced watermelon and cheddar cheese waffles were both very good on their own, and perfect accompaniment to the fried chicken.

I absolutely loved maple syrup on my waffles, and the juxtaposition of their flavours with savoury-salty fried chicken. Match-made in heaven.

7 Likes

The chicken and waffle looks super yummy. Very similar to the Yardbird here at the Beverly Center, Los Angeles. I remember having a much better than expected meal a couple of years ago. Reminds me to return for lunch. After this damn virus thing gets better, of course.

1 Like