[Singapore] Peruvian/Latin American lunch at Canchita, Dempsey Hill

Caught up with a couple of visiting German friends for a Peruvian/Latin American lunch at ๐—–๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ถ๐˜๐—ฎ ๐—ฃ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ๐˜‚๐˜ƒ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐—ป ๐—–๐˜‚๐—ถ๐˜€๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ฒ in Dempsey Hill yesterday. Like most eateries there, itโ€™s surrounded by lush greenery: very apt setting for a Peruvian meal.

Peruvian owner-chef Daniel Chavez, a long-time Singapore resident and ex-Ola Cocina Del Mar (2012), conceptualised the Latin dishes here. Heโ€™d worked in Santi Santamariaโ€™s Can Fabes in Barcelona and also at Santiโ€™s in Marina Bay Sands, Singapore.

Daniel had also started ๐—ง๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ ๐—–๐—ฒ๐˜ƒ๐—ถ๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฎ, the first Peruvian cevicheria in Singapore in 2017, then ๐—ง๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ถ๐˜๐—ผ ๐—Ÿ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ป ๐—”๐—บ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป ๐—ž๐—ถ๐˜๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—ป in 2018, and finally ๐—–๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ถ๐˜๐—ฎ ๐—ฃ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ๐˜‚๐˜ƒ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐—ป ๐—–๐˜‚๐—ถ๐˜€๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ฒ in 2021.

Foodies are the same everywhere - canโ€™t help taking photos of their food before they eat.

We started off with:
๐˜พ๐™š๐™ซ๐™ž๐™˜๐™๐™š ๐™™๐™š ๐˜ผ๐™ฉ๐™ช๐™ฃ - marinated tuna, mango tigerโ€™s milk, cherry tomatoes, habanero chilis and sesame seeds.
Absolutely enjoyed this: fresh, clean flavors.

๐˜พ๐™–๐™ง๐™ง๐™š๐™ฉ๐™ž๐™ก๐™ก๐™š๐™ง๐™ค๐™จ - Peruvian โ€œsignatureโ€ ox-heart, with ๐˜ข๐˜ฅ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฃ๐˜ฐ sauce, roasted potatoes and ๐˜ค๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ค๐˜ฉ๐˜ช๐˜ต๐˜ข (crisp, toasted Peruvian corn kernels).
Tasty, although parts of the ox-heart slices were a tad chewier than weโ€™d have liked.

๐™๐™ค๐™จ๐™ฉ๐™–๐™™๐™–๐™จ ๐™™๐™š ๐™‹๐™ช๐™ก๐™ฅ๐™ค - crispy corn tortillas, sliced octopus, smoked chili mayo, avocado puree, black beans.
Love the crisp, aromatic baked tortillas. Not too sure about the toppings but my lunch companions thoroughly enjoyed the dish.

Mains
๐™‡๐™ค๐™ข๐™ค ๐™Ž๐™–๐™ก๐™ฉ๐™–๐™™๐™ค - Peruvian-style sauteed Wagyu beef. tomatoes, onions and green peas, served in thick-cut potato fries.
Touted as a Peruvian-Asian stir-fry - we suppose they reckoned that Singaporeans, being mainly of Chinese extraction, would take to this stir-fried dish automatically.

๐™๐™š๐™ž๐™Ÿ๐™ค๐™–๐™™๐™– - traditional Brazilian black-bean-and-pork stew, grilled Iberico pork, ๐˜ง๐˜ข๐˜ณ๐˜ฐ๐˜ง๐˜ข (toasted manioc flour), rice, kale & orange salad.
Competently prepared, with all the requisite garnishes. But not the best feijoada Iโ€™d had.

Desserts

๐™‹๐™–๐™จ๐™ฉ๐™š๐™ก ๐™„๐™ฃ๐™ ๐™– - chocolate-chili cake with chocolate sauce, caramelised rum-banana, hazelnut crunch. Best-tasting dessert option here - banana and chocolate are a match made in heaven.

๐™๐™ง๐™š๐™จ ๐™ก๐™š๐™˜๐™๐™š๐™จ - moist coconut cake, mixed berries and vanilla cream. Beautifully constructed but a bit flat taste-wise. Both the coconut cake and cream did not taste as fresh as weโ€™d expected them to be.

๐˜ผ๐™ก๐™›๐™–๐™Ÿ๐™ค๐™ง๐™š๐™จ - butter cookies, ๐˜ฅ๐˜ถ๐˜ญ๐˜ค๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฅ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ญ๐˜ฆ๐˜ค๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ (caramelised sweetened, condensed milk), roasted pineapple and rum-caramel sauce.
Way too sweet for me. My lunch companions liked them more than I did.

Love the ambience and the company (of my friends) more than the food itself. Stellar service, though - extremely obliging and efficient. Kitchen should up the ante a bit.

Address
Canchita Peruvian Cuisine
Dempsey Road, #9A-9B, Singapore 247698
Tel: +65 8028 1994
Operating hours:
Thu to Sun: 11.30am-3pm, 5.30pm-10.30pm.
Mon-Wed 5.30pm-10.30pm only. No lunch service.

9 Likes