[Singapore] Nyonya popiah at My Cosy Corner, Coronation Plaza

Back to ๐— ๐˜† ๐—–๐—ผ๐˜€๐˜† ๐—–๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฟ for their legendary ๐˜•๐˜บ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ๐˜บ๐˜ข ๐˜ฑ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฑ๐˜ช๐˜ข๐˜ฉ. Opened in 1998, ๐— ๐˜† ๐—–๐—ผ๐˜€๐˜† ๐—–๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฟ at Coronation Plaza in Bukit Timah is run by Leong Swee Meng, a nephew of the famous cookbook author, Mrs Leong Yee Soo.

The founder of modern-day Singapore, Lee Kuan Yew, had two of Singaporeโ€™s pioneer cookbook authors in his family: his mother, Chua Jim Neo (17 Feb 1906-6 Aug 1980) and her younger sister, Chua Sim Neo (9 Aug 1917-16 June 1989) were both terrific proponents of Nyonya cooking.

The two sisters also published two of the first Nyonya cookbooks in Singapore:
Madam Chua Jim Neo, as Mrs Lee Chin Koon, published โ€œMrs. Leeโ€™s cookbook: Nonya recipesโ€ in 1974.

Madam Chua Sim Neo, as Mrs Leong Yee Soo, published โ€œSingaporean Cookingโ€ in 1977. Her cookbook has been republished under โ€œThe Best of Singapore Cookingโ€ and โ€œCelebration Cookingโ€ in the later editions.

One of Singaporeโ€™s foremost Nyonya cookbook authors, Matt Tan, joined me for brunch this morning.

Like Matt said, this is the ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—น๐˜† place in Singapore now where we can find truly authentic-tasting ๐˜•๐˜บ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ๐˜บ๐˜ข ๐˜ฑ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฑ๐˜ช๐˜ข๐˜ฉ.

Besides the ๐˜ฑ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฑ๐˜ช๐˜ข๐˜ฉ, we also had some very good ๐˜•๐˜บ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ๐˜บ๐˜ข ๐˜ญ๐˜ข๐˜ฌ๐˜ด๐˜ข and ๐˜”๐˜ฆ๐˜ฆ ๐˜š๐˜ช๐˜ข๐˜ฎ.

There are so many Nyonya laksa spots in Singapore - all with the same taste profile, but some are better than others. The Nyonya laksa here is definitely up there among the best: think rice noodles (โ€œchor bee hoonโ€), garnished with tofu puffs (โ€œtau pokโ€), sliced fish cakes, hard-boiled egg, sprinkled with Vietnamese coriander or rau rฤƒm, known locally as โ€œlaksa leavesโ€.

Leongโ€™s mee Siam here is also one of the best weโ€™d tasted in town: it has the requisite sour-spicy-slight sweet taste profile, but very much gentler compared to other renditions weโ€™d had in town. One of the garnishes: crisp-fried, finely-cubed tofu puffs were crouton-like and were an absolute touch of genius here.

My first time back here in 15 years. So glad some things never change.

Address
My Cosy Corner
587 Bukit Timah Road, #02-02 Coronation Plaza, Singapore 269707
Tel: +65 6463 8286
Opening hours: 10.30am-6pm Mon-Sat. 11am-3.30pm Sunday.

11 Likes

A coworker lent me the Mrs. Lee cookbook, which she purchased when her husband was working in Singapore a number of years ago. It was a very enjoyable read! So much so that I now own the updated version, which I believe was published by Mrs. Leeโ€™s granddaughter, Shermay Lee. The new one contains two volumes now, one covering Nonya cuisine and the other focusing on The Straits Heritage cuisine. I would love to eat at this restaurant some day (probably in 20 years when I might be able to retire).

6 Likes

Can I just say Iโ€™m living vicariously through your culinary adventures. I do hope I get to visit Singapore at least once in my life :slight_smile:

Until thenโ€ฆ please never stop sharing!

3 Likes

Do come, whenever you can. Iโ€™ll be more than happy to show you around.

3 Likes

Same here! Itโ€™s a top of my list destination for sure. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Our HK buddy is planning a 1-semester sabbatical in Hongkong in 2025. We are very hopeful to be able to visit him, and then perhaps โ€œen routeโ€ back (when we are no longer jet-lagged and therefore able to eat ALL the tings!) spend a weekend in Singapore.

@klyeoh Thank you for the gracious offer, Peter! Ditto if you ever pass through Berlin while Iโ€™m around :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I had to look this up โ€“ didnโ€™t know there was a wheat spring roll wrapper version of fresh spring rolls (just the viet rice one)

Though the wrapper looks different than the packaged โ€“ little bubbles like a crepe or dosa? iโ€™m guessing they make them fresh?

All looks delicious.

2 Likes

Iโ€™m guessing My Cosy Corner uses frozen ones. But these are quite good still.

1 Like