[Singapore] Mother Dough Bakery

Mother Dough Bakery is one of the most popular bakeries in Singapore at the moment. Founded in 2018 by passionate owner-baker, Naadhira Ismail, Mother Dough Bakery is one of the eateries spearheading the current trend in Singapore’s dining scene: hip Muslim-owned cafes serving terrific baked goods and their halal take on Western cuisine.

The bakery opens 5 days a week, Wed to Sun, and regulars know to come early when it opens at 11 am, to grab the more popular items before they are gone.

One queues at the ordering counter on the ground floor, past the day’s fresh bakes. Then, go upstairs to snare a spot and one’s order will be promptly delivered to one’s table. Actually, it makes sense to have at least two persons in your party if you intend to dine-in: one of you need to scramble upstairs immediately to get one of the tables whilst the other does the ordering - the place accommodates hardly 16 dine-in customers at a snug fit.

They do their beverages very, very well here.

Some of the stuff we ordered:

1. Lamington with white chocolate glaze, toasted coconut, and fig jam. This was utterly delicious. I grew up in Western Australia, where lamingtons were one of the most common baked goods - available practically everywhere. But those ones were sponge cakes, dipped into a liquid chocolate sauce, then coated with desiccated coconut.
    The one we had here at Mother Dough was a luxurious make-over of the simple, rustic Aussie one.

2. Thai milk tea morning bun - croissant bun with Thai milk tea-flavoured whipped cream, honey rice crisp.

3. Cinnamon sugar donut

4. Ham and cheese croissant - very buttery and flaky croissant.

5. Blueberry jam cookies, Valrhona chocolate-layered cookies, dark chocolate sea salt sable

We came “too late”, i.e. late afternoon, when their best-known merchandise: the much-talked about almond croissant had sold out. I just need to come back another time to try that.

Naadhira follows the 3-day classic French croissant recipe: i.e., one day for making the poolish and dough, then refrigerate till the second day, when the dough gets laminated, and shaped; and finally the third day, where the chilled croissants are proofed then baked.

Wonderful bakery which changes its offerings quite regularly. Naadhira is quite a personality - she learnt baking at the International Culinary Institute in New York, and spent four years working in various bakeries there, including Runner & Stone in Brooklyn. You’d love to talk to her.

Address
Mother Dough Bakery
3 Jalan Kledek, Singapore 199259
Tel: +65 6909 6604
Operating Hours: Wed – Sun, 11am till 6pm (or sold out). Closed on Mondays & Tuesdays

9 Likes

Drool worthy, every single one.

But I am trying to understand halal ham? :thinking:

1 Like

I’m going to guess it’s chicken “ham” - also available in India.

2 Likes

Yes, quite likely chicken “ham” as @Saregama mentioned. Or perhaps turkey “ham”, which is quite common here for the halal market.

1 Like