[Singapore] Lunch at Ruth's Chris Steak House, Marina Mandarin

This is the Singapore outpost of American upscale steakhouse, Ruth’s Chris Steak House. Ensconced in the space long occupied by Marina Mandarin hotel’s now-defunct Ristorante Bologna, Ruth’s does lunch & dinner service daily. My original choice was actually Morton’s the Steakhouse of Chicago, located at the Mandarin Oriental hotel next door, but found out it only opens for dinner in the evenings.

The restaurant’s signature is serving USDA prime steaks that are seared at 1800 °F (980 °C) and served on ceramic plates heated to 500 °F (260 °C). Half an ounce (1 Tbspn) of butter is added just before the plates leave the kitchen in order to create the signature “sizzle”.

I started off lunch with a shrimp cocktail with spicy New Orleans homestyle cocktail sauce. It was good, but nowhere the smashing version served at Daniel Boulud’s DB Bistro Moderne at Marina Bay Sands.

My entree: Filet steak, medium

The steak is served with the restaurant’s Oscar-style crabcake, with asparagus & Béarnaise sauce. The crabcake was good, but I found the sauce a bit too rich for my taste. Asparagus was perfect, though - lightly steamed will the spears are still firm.

My fave side at any steakhouse has always been the Creamed spinach - here, again, you get a competently prepared one, but not the best in town: that honour goes to Wolfgang Puck’s CUT, also over at Marina Bay Sands.

Address
Ruth’s Chris Steak House Singapore
6 Raffles Boulevard
4th Level, Marina Mandarin Hotel
Singapore 39594
Tel: +65-63369093
Opening hours: 11.30am-3pm, 5.30pm-11pm daily

2 Likes