[Singapore] Lunch at 1-Michelin-starred Corner House, Botanic Gardens

Corner House, the 1-Michelin-starred fine dining outpost in Singapore’s Botanical Gardens, is esconced in the former home of late botanist/mycologist, Edred John Henry Corner, hence its name. One of the restaurant’s main attractions is actually the greenery and abundance of foliage around it - an oasis in the middle of an urban jungle that is Singapore.

Amuse bouche - Salty fish crackers with tobiko and Pickled cucumber with mustard seed jelly

Hokkaido Scallops with mango, fennel, buckwheat and Ikura roes

New Zealand Blue Cod with “Crispy Scales”, with Hokkaido scallop, celery, tomato, laksa & crustacean sauce

Iberico Pork Jowl, with white asparagus, black garlic sauce and garlic leaves

My Favourite Childhood Memory, with peanut butter, pandan kaya and toasted "bread"

Petit Fours - Milo Dinosaur and Madeleines

Jason Tan’s dishes have pretty well-balanced flavours, with gentle handling of good quality ingredients. I rather enjoyed my meal here more than the one at Bangkok’s 1-Michelin-starred GAA early this year.

Address
Corner House
1 Cluny Road, E J H Corner House
Singapore Botanic Gardens
Singapore 259569
Tel: +65 6469 1000
Opening hours: 12noon-3pm, 6.30pm-11pm daily, except Monday (closed).

8 Likes

Lovely looking plates

1 Like

I like the cod dish, especially the crispy skin.

What’s the story with the fish bone? Didn’t get it.

1 Like

I see this plate as “finger food”. Would it be gauche to eat it using my fingers as a utensil?

1 Like

Neither do I, it looked like something left behind by a back alley stray cat! Meant to be sculptural, I think.

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy:
Nothing to stop you from doing that, I guess. :grin::+1:

Wow, that fish spine is neat! (To me at least)

Wonderful pics as usual.

1 Like

Thanks, @corvette_johnny :blush:

If I may ask, how the hell do you visit so many awesome places? I live vicariously through your posts lol :smile:

I eat out a lot - and I have foodie friends who are forever looking for a good meal somewhere, anywhere. One of them organised this lunch.

Wonderful! I get out a bit too but you’re on another level. Keep up the good work! Cheers

2 Likes

Corner House has got a new executive chef today, 39-year-old Bordeaux-born chef David Thien, who replaces the founding executive chef, Jason Tan. Jason’s leaving after 6 years and the 38-year-old planned to start his own new restaurant.

David Thien has Mauritian-Chinese ancestry, and came to Singapore back in 2007 as a sous chef at the now-defunct L’Atelier de Joel Robuchon. He was last at Shelter in the Woods (which has also closed). Prior to Singapore, Thien trained with Chef Thierry Marx at 2-Michelin-star Château Cordeillan-Bages in Pauillac, France.