[Singapore] Lontong breakfast at Kampong Glam Cafe

Kampong Glam Cafe on the junction of Bussorah Street and Baghdad Street is one of my all-time favourite breakfast spots whenever I’m in the Arab Street/Muslim quarter of Singapore.

Founded in 2004 by ex-footballer, Mr Bashir Khan, and his late uncle, Abdul Rahim bin Musa, the cafe offers a plethora of good Singapore-Malay eats, perhaps the only one around for a 1 km radius - quite surprising for a Malay-Muslim neighbourhood. Most of the other food outlets nearby are mainly Turkish restaurants and modern cafes serving cakes and French pastries.

Lontong

My favourite was the lontong, a popular breakfast dish of compressed rice cakes, bathed in a rich, soupy coconut milk-turmeric vegetable curry called sayur lodeh.

Of Javanese origin, a standard order of lontong comes with “serondeng”, a mildly-spiced meat floss; hard-boiled egg, and “tau kwa” or hard tofu. I usually opt to add “opor ayam”, a mild-flavoured Central Javanese curried chicken dish.

I also usually ask for “perkedel”, a savoury Javanese potato croquette. The name was an Indonesian adaptation of the Dutch “frikadelle”. Also called “bergedil” in Singapore and Malaysia.

Serabai with Serawa Durian

Serabai is a crumpet-like Malay dessert, served here with serawa durian, a thick, sweet sauce made of durian pulp, coconut cream and palm sugar.

Kampong Glam Cafe’s version was the best I’d ever tasted: soft, moist, spongey serabai, and thick, rich serawa.

The cafe gets very busy on Saturday and Sunday mornings.

Address
Kampong Glam Cafe
17 Bussorah Street, Singapore 199438
Tel: +65 6294 1697
Operating hours: 8am to 2am Tue-Wed, Fri-Sun;
12pm-2am Thu; Closed on Mondays

11 Likes

What a beautiful spread! Now that is a proper all day breakfast! :slight_smile:
That photo showing several of the dishes all on one plate with the labels is genius! LOL!
I had never heard of Serabai and it looks like a delicious dish!
The serondeng is another dish I had never heard of but it reminds me of a shredded meat side on plates served in some warungs/rumah makan in Indonesia. Some how I believe the Singapore version is going to be a bit tastier than the version I had in Indonesia, though.

1 Like

Not necessarily tastier, but “different” somehow, despite Singapore-Malay food having a large part of its origins in Java cuisine.

The Indonesians use some herbs like daun salam (Indonesia bay leaf) and kencur (sand ginger) in many of their dishes, but which turns off most Singaporeans, so these herbs either won’t be used at all in our recipes, or else in minute, barely discernible amounts.

1 Like