[Singapore] Javanese dinner at Ayam Penyet Ria, Far East Plaza

Jogjakarta-style fried chicken took Indonesia by storm back in the mid-90s - popularised by the Ny. Suharti and MBok Berek chains. Fast forward two decades later, Jogja fried chicken has become popular for quick meals among Singapore and Malaysia’s Malay communities.

Ayam Penyet Ria is one of the several competing Jogja-style fried chicken spots in Far East Plaza on Scotts Road and nearby Lucky Plaza on Orchard Road. Its rival, Ayam Penyet Surabaya is located right next to it at Far East Plaza, and both also have competing outlets at Lucky Plaza, where Indonesian eating outlets have started proliferating in an erstwhile largely Filipino precinct.

1. Soda Gembira, a popular fizzy, rose syrup-flavoured milk soda.

2. Ayam goreng penyet - crisp-fried chicken, with fried tempe (fermented soybean cake) and tofu, with raw cabbage, long beans, kangkung (water spinach) and cucumber, and sambal petis (spicy chilli dip).

3. Sayur asem - a sweet-sour vegetable soup with long beans, cabbage, gourd, corn and peanuts. This commonly available dish is my fave Indon soup of all time!

4. Gado-gado - blanched vegetables and rice cake, smothered with a thick spicy peanut sauce, and topped with kerupuk (fish crackers).

Address
Ayam Penyet Ria
05-22 Far East Plaza
14 Scotts Road
Singapore 228213
Tel: +65 6733 4336
Operating hours: 11.30am to 10pm, daily

2 Likes

Aaaugh, didn’t realize Ny.Suharti opened a branch.in SG. One of of my fondest dining memories in Jakarta.

Oh no, I meant Ny Suharti in Indonesia. Neither Ny Suharti nor Mbok Berek have opened a branch in Singapore, nor anywhere outside Indonesia as far as I know.