[Singapore] Japanese-Sichuanese at Sishen Hanten, Mandarin Orchard

2-Michelin-star Japanese-owned Sishen Hanten at the 35th floor of the Mandarin Orchard is the most highly-rated Chinese restaurant in the 2017 Michelin Singapore Guide. Owned by Japanese “Iron Chef”, Chen Kenichi, it was also his first foray into Singapore. Located on the 35th floor o the Mandarin Orchard Hotel, it took over the location of long-time stalwart, Pine Court - that fine dining Chinese restaurant once notorious for slow, reticent service by moody wait-staff. Shisen Hanten’s service was a notch better, but food service was slow - perhaps a curse of the kitchens up there,

1. Shisen Hanten signature cold poached shredded chicken with spicy sesame dressing.

1. Foie gras chawan mushi with crab roe soup.

1. Chef Chen’s Ma-po tofu.

1. Crispy rice bubbles. with meat/seafood stew.

Overall, the service was polished and efficient. Food-wise, tastes were pretty bland. The kitchen was slow and cooking was mediocre at best. Its 2-Michelin-star rating made it the highest rated Chinese restaurant in Singapore! Which makes one wonder what standards the Michelin inspectors used to award their stars.

Address
Shisen Hanten
Level 35, Orchard Wing Mandarin Orchard , 333 Orchard Road, Singapore 238867
Tel: +65 6831 6266
Operating hours: 12noon–2:30pm, 6pm–10pm (daily)

2 Likes

A question I often ask myself about their UK inspectors.

1 Like

That makes the two of us, and I suspect we aren’t the only ones :smiley:

BTW, Kai Mayfair - which was awarded 1-Michelin-star since 2009 till 2017 in the London Michelin Guide serves a kickass Sichuanese hot-and-sour soup which knocked everything I’d tasted here at Sishen Hanten!

Shisen Hanten loses one star after 6 years.

1 Like