[Singapore] Farm-to-table dining at The Summerhouse

The Summerhouse is esconced in one of those sumptous refurbished colonial British-era bungalows dotting the Singapore Aerospace Park in Seletar.

The restaurant grows much of its own herbs, and procures its ingredients from a small select group of local Singaporean & Malaysian farmers that practices ethical, sustainable farming.

Communal dishes, meant to be shared by the whole table, were served for our dinner last weekend. There were 6 of us at the table, so there were some dishes which I did not taste but, judging from the feedback given by my dining companions, most of the dishes were well-received - made from the freshest, high quality ingredients and expertly put together by the Chef de Cuisine, Florian Ridder.

1. Grilled rye bread, buttermilk and home-made butter.

1. Moroccan eggplant, goat’s cheese, leek ash, coriander and croutons.

1. Avocado, ikura, truffle pecorino, chive, sous vide egg-yolk and chai seed crackers.

1. Mons Cheeses, France - Baked smoked Camembert, truffles, endives.

1. Green & purple sweet potato leaves, anchovy creme fraiche & bacon crumbs

1. 24-hour sous vide Tajima Wagyu beef, winter root vegetables and Shiraz reduction.

1. Smoked potato puree, grilled abalone mushrooms, parsley emulsion, toasted pine nuts & beef stock.

1. Pickled & slow-cooked lamb shoulder, kumquat chutney and sweet potato puree with sage beurre noissette.

1. Smoked butter poached red snapper fillet, grilled asparagus, seaweed beurre blanc.

DSC04342

1. Wood-fired, free-range French poulet, stuffing, cranberry gel and confit potatoes.

Desserts
11. Natural yoghurt, local cinnamon ice-cream, roasted pumpkin seeds, roasted pumpkin ice-cream.

1. Valrhona chocolate ice-cream, vanilla custard, hazelnut cookie.

I think what I liked about the concept of communal dishes here is that one gets to taste from a wide array of dishes, which saves me the need to make multiple visits back to taste the different entrees (one of my pitfalls). My fave dishes for the evening were roasted lamb shoulder, which was melt-in-the-mouth tender, and the rich, decadent potato puree with its deep, mellow flavours from the beef stock poured over it.

All the dishes “work”, which is a plus here. Other than a Middle-Eastern touch in his Moroccan eggplant dish, the other items here were all lightly dressed and virtually spice-free, a welcome change here in Singapore, where local palates oftentimes demand assertive flavours.

Address
The Summerhouse
3 Park Lane
Singapore Aerospace Park
Singapore 798387
Tel: +65 6262 1063
Opening hours:
Lunch - 12 noon to 3pm, Fri, Sat & Sun only.
Dinner - 6pm to 10pm, Wed to Sun.
Closed Mon & Tue.

3 Likes