[Singapore] Dinner at Anglo Indian Cafe & Bar, Chijmes.

Anglo Indian at Chijmes offers a good range of North Indian, Desi-Chinese (Sino-Ludhianvi cooking) and Anglo-Indian dishes.

1. Mango lassi - the rendition here was near-perfect. A good start.

2. Lamb Seekh Kebabs - very respectable rendition. Does not approach the excellence of those one gets in Northern India or Pakistan, but very good by Singapore standards.

1. Butter Chicken (Murgh Makhani) - I’ve come across many excellent versions in Singapore, and this one here is up there with the best of them. Well-balanced flavours, and chicken were cooked perfectly.

2. Gobi Manchurian - ordering this dish was a BIG mistake It was one of the signature Indian-style “Chinese” dishes very popular in India: batter-coated, deep-fried cauliflower covered with a spicy sauce. We didn’t quite take to it, either in terms of flavours and texture.

3. Yellow daal. Very good - slow-cooked, yielding smooth, earthy buttery-rich flavours.

4. Kashmiri Naan - I loved this to bits: naan filled with colourful chopped candied fruits. This is pretty common in Singapore, but which I am hardpressed to find in India or Pakistan, where their version, the Peshawri Naan, had miserly fruit stuffing.

My go-to spot for a spice fix if I’m in Chijmes.

Address
Ango Indian Cafe & Bar
01-03 Chijmes
30 Victoria Street
Singapore 187996
Tel: +65 6337 7810
Opening hours: 12 noon - 12 midnight daily.

2 Likes

I know what you mean about the Gobi Manchurian. We have a “Mumbai street food” place within walking distance of home, that has an Indo Chinese menu section. I’ve tried a couple of dishes, including the Manchurian - just not keen on it at all.

1 Like

I think only Indians in India like Desi-Chinese food - certainly my Singaporean-Indian and Malaysian-Indian friends never take to it as well.