[Singapore] Dim sum lunch at East Bistro, My Village @ Serangoon Gardens

Serangoon Gardens is a genteel, placid neighbourhood just 15 minutes’ drive from my place. Known to locals by its old Hokkien moniker, “Ang Sar Lee”, the suburb is characterised by low-rise, mostly single-storey bungalows, quite a change from Singapore’s usual high-rise housing estates.

My Village is a tiny suburban mall with two well-stocked supermarkets, about 6 restaurants & cafes, a small food-court, and some retail shops. East Bistro occupies the largest space on the top floor of the mall.

An uncle & aunt invited me to a sumptuous dim sum lunch at Serangoon Garden’s 𝗘𝗮𝘀𝘁 𝗕𝗶𝘀𝘁𝗿𝗼 @ 𝗠𝘆 𝗩𝗶𝗹𝗹𝗮𝗴𝗲, founded by Tony Wong, the former head chef of Hong Kong’s famous Lei Garden.

Tony served Lei Garden for over 40 years, since 1986, and is best known as the original creator of the ever-popular 𝙈𝙖𝙣𝙜𝙤 𝙎𝙖𝙜𝙤 𝙬𝙞𝙩𝙝 𝙋𝙤𝙢𝙚𝙡𝙤 dessert, which has become 𝘥𝘦 𝘳𝘪𝘨𝘦𝘶𝘳 in Cantonese restaurants in Singapore and elsewhere! Over here in Serangoon Gardens, East Bistro has become a de facto lunch spot for Hong Kong expats wanting a “taste of home” ever since it opened in 2018.

Our dim sum lunch spread:

1. Siew mai - steamed minced pork-shrimp dumplings. These were huge, and steamed perfectly - juicy and flavoursome.

2. Fu pei kuen - prawns wrapped in beancurd skin and deep-fried. A bit greasy for my taste, but the rendition here was pretty good - light and crisp on the outside, moist on the inside.

3. Lau sar pao - salty-sweet custard buns, with salted duck’s egg yolk mashed into the molten custard filling. Absolutely delish!

4. Sichuanese chive-and-pork dumplings, in a spicy vinegar dressing

5. Braised house tofu - this was a subtly-flavoured dish: pan-fried large cubes of soft tofu, gently braised in a soy-minced pork sauce.

6. Kow choi kao - chives-and-pork dumplings.

7. Pai kuat - steamed pork-ribs, flavoured with salted black beans and red chilis

8. Char siew polo pao - these are baked buns with a sweet-buttery crust on top, an adaptation of the Mexican bun, but with Cantonese-style caramelised BBQ pork filling.

1. Jin deui - crisp-fried round pastry balls made from glutinous rice dough, studded with sesame seeds. The balls are hollow, but most dim sum restaurants would fill these balls with either sweet, mashed mung beans or red beans.

2. Milk pudding in young coconut

The whole place has a suburban eatery feel, and Tony Wong was a perfect host: friendly and approachable.

His dim sum spread has a rustic quality to them, not quite approaching the finesse of the best dim sum houses in Singapore like Imperial Treasure at ION Orchard or Great World City, Crystal Jade Palace in Takashimaya, or Paragon, or Taste Paradise in ION Orchard.

Address
East Bistro @ My Village
1 Maju Avenue #02-01/02, Singapore 556679
Tel: +65 6634 2998

Opening hours (dine-in):
Lunch: 11am - 3pm (Mon- Fri), 10am - 3pm (Sat & Sun)
Dinner: 5pm - 10pm daily

10 Likes

I wish I had relatives like yours. :grinning:

3 Likes

We always have a lot to talk about when we meet - I’m an active member of the Peranakan Association of Penang since I moved there in 2017, and often gave talks and wrote articles about the Peranakan/Baba-Nyonya/Straits-born Chinese in Penang.

Back in Singapore, my uncle was the President of the 132-year-old Peranakan Association of Singapore from 2018 to 2022, whilst his wife, my auntie was the editor of the Peranakan Magazine for the past 18 years. So, we always share information on the arts, culture, literature, and even on-going activities of Peranakans in Singapore vis-a-vis Penang in our conversations.

We also share a love for food: any type of food! :joy:

4 Likes

That looks out of this world. Thanks for posting. The tofu and and siew mai look out of this world. I’m in singapore soon and will add it to my list :slight_smile:

1 Like

For the best Cantonese or dim sum, try those restaurants I listed at the bottom of my original post above.
Let me know if you need any other dining tips.

1 Like

Is that polo pao what we’ve read about as garnering a Michelin star for Tim Ho Wan?

1 Like

Yes, but it’s a very common Cantonese pastry. Tim Ho Wan just happened to do a very good one.

1 Like

Judging from the photo on the Marina Bay Sands website, it sure looks very good.

1 Like

Thanks will take a look

1 Like

Ref: Char siew polo pao

Can still recall biting into my first one at Hong Kong ’ Fu Sing ’ decades ago! Soooo good, no wonder they called them ’ Best Bun under the sky '!! I think I must have downed half a dozen?! Ha!
Nowadays, for quality and value, can’t beat the offering by HK 's el-cheapo Michelin star - Tim Ho Won!

BTW, the florescent red colour of the filling of your Singapore version looked so ’ artificial '!!!.. :crazy_face:

1 Like

What a beautiful range of dishes!

1 Like

Fu Sing is an old favourite of mine, too.

It’s a Singaporean quirk: the acceptance of artificial colouring in food. My pet peeve is the fluorescent red-coloured Indian-Muslim fried noodles (“mee goreng”) which will have an unnaturally bright colour due to the addition of red food colouring. This never happens in neighbouring Malaysia (which has a similar food culture to Singapore) where chilis or tomatoes are used to give the red hue.

1 Like