[Singapore] Breakfast options at Pek Kio Market & Food Centre, Cambridge Road

Caught up with a bunch of foodie friends for a breakfast of kaya-butter toasts, French toasts and some very tasty HK-style ๐˜ค๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ง๐˜ถ๐˜ฏ with shrimp and scallop filling at ๐—ฃ๐—ฒ๐—ธ ๐—ž๐—ถ๐—ผ ๐— ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ธ๐—ฒ๐˜ & ๐—™๐—ผ๐—ผ๐—ฑ ๐—–๐—ฒ๐—ป๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.

Pin Wei Chee Cheong Fun serves HK-style chee cheong fun - thinner and more fragile than the robust, supple, cylindrical rolls of Singapore-style chee cheong fun served with hoi sin sauce and chili paste.

HK-style chee cheong fun is usually made upon order: a liquid mix of rice flour, tapioca flour and water is poured over a muslin cloth spread over a rectangular steamer. A choice of of char siew, prawns or scallops would be distributed over the slowly-forming edible sheet forming on the cloth. The sheets, studded with the choice of filling, will be peeled off and formed into rolls.

A tasty liquid seasoning (a blend of light soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, etc.) would be poured over the chee cheong fun rolls, before toasted sesame seeds are scattered over them for added taste & texture. A dollop of fragrant, fried chili paste is provided on the side for a spike of heat. The overall combination was sheer match made in heaven: one of the best HK-style chee cheong fun Iโ€™d had anywhere.

Chee cheong fun with shrimp filling

Chee cheong fun with scallop filling

Pin Wei Chee Cheong Fun is run by the Tan family: patriarch Tan Song Beow (whoโ€™s own father started the trade back in the 1950s), his wife, Molly, and their son Eddy.

The other stall we came for was Jin Jun Kopi which also produced the thinnest kaya-butter toasts in town, besides French toast.

Also thick-cut Hainanese bread, similarly toasted, slathered with kaya and topped with cold slices of butter

The queue at Wah Kee Big Prawn Noodle was horrendous - at least 10 people long at any given time and, if the wait-time is 5 minutes for each customer, it worked out to nearly an hourโ€™s wait in the queue whenever you feel like being abused by the temperamental โ€œPrawn Mee Naziโ€ lady, Tham Lay Mon, 80. She runs the stall with her husband, Lau Fook Wah, 82. I chose to skip it this time, and went for the simpler economy mee stall.

My usual, with 2 slices of luncheon meat and two fried eggs. The version here at Pek Kio does not really measure up to the excellent ones that one gets at my fave two places: Chong Boon Market & Food Centre or Cheng San Market & Food Centre, both in Ang Mo Kio.

Address
Pek Kio Market & Food Centre
41A Cambridge Road, Singapore 211041
Tel: +65 6225 5632
Opening hours: Varies from stall to stall. The market opens from 5.30am.

6 Likes

Mmmmm cheung fun

I had pretty disappointing beef cheung fun yesterday. Must rectify.

1 Like

Personally, Iโ€™d never had a good beef cheung fun, ever - not even in HK or Guangzhou. I think shrimp works best for this dish.