[Singapore] Breakfast options at Marine Terrace

Marine Terrace at Block 50A Marine Parade is a veritable gold mine of good local eats. And like most “local” market with a hawker centre attached, the customers are 100% locals. Quality of cooking here tend to be higher than the downtown hawker centres with high turnover (e.g. Maxwell Road, Amoy Street, etc.)

1. One of my fave stalls here is Warong Wak Nakem for its Malay lontong: compressed rice cakes topped with “sayur lodeh”, a spicy, rich vegetable soup/stew, made sweet with cabbage, and with tofu, long beans, tempe and hard-boiled egg, topped with “serondeng”, a fragrant, toasted and lightly-spiced grated coconut mix.

1. The economy beehoon mee, garnished with fried egg and luncheon meat, there is pretty average, though I still must have it as a matter of habit.

2. Perhaps the best-known stall there is Bee Bee Fried Carrot Cake - because Singapore’s first Olympic gold medallist, Joseph Schooling, said it was his favourite hawker stall :smiley:
    You need to be early here - the wait can be long (15-20 minutes) and they sell out by 10-10.30am.

The “carrot cake” - more like radish-and rice flour cakes - were fried with salted radish, garlic, eggs, and seasoned with soysauce and chilli paste. Served topped with chopped scallions.

1. Another popular stall is the peanut pancake stall. Also offers grated coconut filling. Both are good.

2 Likes

The photos are mouth watering already, I can’t imagine the real thing.

Inside the peanut pancake, are the fillings all peanut?

The name carrot cake is misleading there seems to be not a bit of carrot, it’s more a savoury radish cake! Yummy.

1 Like

The filling for the pancake is a mixture of toasted, crushed peanuts and white sugar. Butter will also be added during the cooking process.

The fried carrot cake dish is called “chye tow kway” in Singapore. I think the English name is a misnomer which started perhaps a century ago, as it was also used in Penang, Malaysia.

It’s a Hokkien (Fujianese) dish and both Singapore and Penang have majority Chinese-Hokkien populace. In Hokkien language, “chye tow” refers to radish, whereas “ang chye tow” refers to carrot. “Kway” means cake. Somehow, they used carrot instead of radish during the translation into English, and it has stayed that way since. Maybe like how “Bombay duck” actually refers to a fish instead of a fowl :slight_smile: