Simply Southern Belmar [NJ]

Had an excellent lunch here. I’ve eaten here a few times and I’ve enjoyed all the food. I’ll just leave this here:

Fried chicken, greens, and black-eyed peas.

6 Likes

I reviewed this place ages ago and liked everything I had. But what I did not like was paying $10 for a brownie for dessert (there were no prices on the dessert menu at the time).

2 Likes

Ah, my favorite pet peeve! I would love a law that says anything on a menu that doesn’t have a price is free.

5 Likes

I’m sorry @gcaggiano but I was so stuffed after all that food ($20) that I couldn’t even think about dessert, and I love southern desserts.

1 Like

Leaving this here for our southern crew. Little late admittedly but perhaps this is a repeating thing

5 Likes

I had dinner here last night. We didn’t start off well. We walked in, and there was nobody in the restaurant. No diners, no waiters. So we waited for a while, expecting someone to come out from the kitchen to greet us. Nope. So then I went to the kitchen door, yelling “hello.” No answer. Waited a few more minutes, nobody came out. I went back to the kitchen, and this time I whistled. You know those loud, annoying whistles that people make at games? Yes, that loud. It was loud in the kitchen, so I thought whistling would catch someones ear.

I could see someone working, and started waving my arms and whistling again. Finally, a cook saw me, and the waiter came out a few minutes later and greeted us. It must have taken me about 8 minutes to get their attention. Not a good start.

We had corn muffins delivered to our table. They were warm. They had a good taste, but they weren’t completely done in the center. They needed a few more minutes in the oven. Too bad, because I love corn muffins.

Next out was the sweet pototo hush puppies. Again good flavor, but they were a bit dark and oily inside. Darn.

My dining companion had the special, baby back ribs, corn on the cob and potato salad. He really like the ribs and potato salad. He said he thought they dunked the corn into the fryer because it had a funny texture. The corn wasn’t to his liking.

I had the catfish bites. They were ok. The way they were breaded made me think they are a prepared, frozen breaded item ready to fry.

The standouts were the sides! The highlight of the meal for me. The collard greens were terrific. They had a nice little bite to them. THe black eyed peas were very tasty. And the candied yams lived up to their name, sweet and delicious.

We were there early, but were the only diners. They did have two takeout orders picked up, but nobody else for indoor dining. They do not have any tables outside.

I think that next time I’ll follow @seal’s lead and have the fried chicken instead of the catfish.

6 Likes

The service was bad, the corn muffins and hush puppies weren’t cooked properly, the catfish bites seemed just frozen items cooked up, the corn had a funny texture, …

So why is there even going to be a next time?

2 Likes

This makes me sad. Doesn’t sound like the owners were there, either. I don’t care how bad things are, if customers walk in and there isn’t a staff member around, that’s not okay.

3 Likes

OMG! So sorry @heidicooksandbakes

I hope everything is ok at the restaurant - they are very nice people.

Still no excuse.

1 Like

You know, I really liked this place. It’s been a tough time during this pandemic. I don’t like to write a place off for a bad night. The sides were great. In fact, I’m enjoying them today for lunch. I just wish that it had been a better all around.

4 Likes

I don’t know why it took so long, but had my first visit to Simply Southern a couple of nights ago. Very solid all around … food and service. Was a big fan of the complimentary corn bread muffins to start. Starter of mac n cheese served in a skillet. I’m not a mac n cheese fan and reluctantly took a bite and found it good, but left the rest for the table. Mains included the fried chicken, shrimp and grits and a stuffed shrimp special, all very tasty and we all had leftovers. All the sides were awesome and may have been the star of the meal. The kid wanted the fried brownie for dessert. Not my thing, but he seemed to enjoy it. And the one waiter who handled the room was great. We were one of only a few occupied tables, but I could see one waiter being stretched thin on a busy night. If like me you haven’t gone, or haven’t gone in a while, I say go!

7 Likes