About a week ago we ended-up in Sierra Madre. Not necessarily a dining mecca, but some okay spots. Wandered into Monsieur Crepe, a simple storefront restaurant offering savory and sweet / dessert crepes, along with croissants, sandwiches, quiches, a few salads, and a few other things.
As we were getting our food to go, we opted for sandwiches rather than the crepes.
- Tuna Croissant - Tuna salad, swiss, olives, lettuce, tomatoes and homemade balsamic aioli (had them hold the olives, as I think they’re vile). This was decent and would order again.
- Salmon Croissant - Salmon ($8.95)
Smoked wild salmon, cream cheese, red onion, lettuce, tomatoes, dill. This was very good and we’d definitely order it again.
- Veggie Sandwich on a Baguette - Veggie Sandwich ($8.45)
Spinach, cucumber, roasted peppers, grilled onions, tomatoes, feta cheese, avocado, pesto aioli, homemade balsamic dressing. This was okay; not sure if we’d order again.
All sandwiches come with a small side salad of mixed greens, sliced strawberries, and a balsamic vinagrette. Simple and fine.
We returned to the restaurant to dine in and try the crepes this past weekend. Ordered:
- La Forestière - White mushrooms slowly cooked in cream, caramelized onions, spinach, bits of homemade crispy bacon (no bacon on ours). This was excellent and we’d definitely order it again.
- L’Oceane - Smoked wild salmon, dill, avocado, lemon, and a touch of cream. This was extremely salty (thanks to the smoked salmon) and the lemon didn’t do much to cut that. Also needed more dill, I think, or something. Didn’t finish it and won’t order it again.
For dessert we tried their croissant bread pudding - very dense and while tasty, it was also much heavier than we prefer. Didn’t finish it.
Instead, we headed across the street to Mother Moo Creamery for ice cream and were much happier.