Sichuan Cottage (Marlboro, NJ ) Updates

I’m kind of I embarrassed by how happy it made me…

3 Likes

Do’t be. We all need more happiness in our lives.

5 Likes

True! And if there’s anywhere I can say it publicly, it’s to you HOs! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

In today’s world there is no shame in finding happiness or comfort however or wherever you can. I say good for you and if need be enjoy more often!

4 Likes

Here to say that I am NOT embarrassed to admit that I heated up spicy dumplings in my small frying pan and then added an egg. Yes, a fried egg done in spicy chili oil. #LifeIsGood

7 Likes

@CurlzNJ We were just there last week but got takeout again today after reading your post!

• Edit - Upon eating the leftovers my son asked if we could get the Kung Pao Chicken without peppers next time as he is having a hard time picking out the spicy little things!
2 Likes

Ok, my fellow Sichuan Cottage fans. I have a stupid game we can play. Below is a picture of five take out containers. What five dishes did I get?

1 Like

I have absolutely no idea, but will be taking out tonight:
Wontons in Hot Oil
Dan Dan Noodle
Beef in Hot Oil
Rice Cake Shanghai Style
Kung Pao Chicken

Anything in common?

1 Like

And Wednesday we got Wontons in Hot Oil, Vegetable Spring Roll, Pork Chow Fun, Fish Filets with Chopped Chilis in Black Bean Sauce, and of course, Three Pepper Chicken.

I think I see dry sauteed string beans…I"m also going to guess spicy wontons, fortune cookies, and rice.

How’d I do?!?

@jsfein - All the dishes you mentioned are in my rotation, but none of these are them.

@eleeper - one of yours is the same as mine - Fish w black beans

@CurlzNJ - Good job identifying those string beans, but no spicy wonton.

Here are the revealed dishes:

Fish, string beans, shrimp w salt and pepper, chicken lo mein and chicken w broccoli.

Thanks for playing!

1 Like

@eleeper @seal when you got the fish with chopped chili, did they use green chili or red thai chili type things? It’s usually green but last time I got it it was red and totally ruined the flavor profile for me.

Anyway there must be some kind of cosmic connection thing going on because I got some Cottage too, and came up with some really cool things!!

First of all - have any of you ever ordered “Szechuan beef/chicken/pork” from a local Chinese takeout and gotten the dish where everything is cut into julienne strips and in a red, mildly spicy and very sweet sauce? Have you ever wondered if it’s authentic, and if so what the real version tastes like? Well it’s right there on the Sichuan Cottage menu!! Pork with sweet & sour hot bean sauce!!! Apparently this dish is called yu xiang rou si!!

Another fun find, in Korea there is a Korean Chinese restaurant staple called jjampong. It’s a spicy seafood noodle soup. Now I always wondered where this dish came from, because jjampong is not a Chinese word, and is actually the name of a noodle soup dish in Japan, which is again… considered a Japanese Chinese dish. There are people who claim that Korean jjampong came from a Chinese dish called chao ma mian, including wikipedia, but if you try a google search for chao ma mian (even in Chinese), all of the references are to the Korean dish jjampong and there are basically no references to any authentic Chinese version!

Why did I tell you this long winded probably boring story? Well yesterday I attempted to order the spicy beef noodle soup from Cottage, and they didn’t have any of the beef so they couldn’t make the dish - and what does the guy recommend to me as a substitute? Chao ma mian!! And then he follows it up by saying “It’s a Korean spicy seafood noodle soup”!!!

Just what the hell is this dish???

Anyway it was just ok. If you like spicy beef noodle soups you must get it from Cottage, it’s one of the best I’ve had anywhere, and better than Shanghai Bun.

Also, Cottage’s Kung Pao chicken totally kicks ass. It was one of the best things I’ve ever had from them!!

Here’s a pic of the noodle soup:

7 Likes

Something must be happening in the universe, because Pete Genovese posted on Twitter today that he was looking for good Chinese places, so of course I chimed in and mentioned Sichuan Cottage. I told him some of my favorites: #922 (fish and chili oil, thank you @joonjoon), sesame noodles, West Lake Beef Chowder (TY @eleeper). Couple of hours later he posted that he absolutely loved the fish dish! I’m curious to hear if he tried anything else the, but his next tweet was that he was at Crown Palace, and I’ll be curious to hear what he had and what he thought.
I’m thinking I needed to make a SC run tomorrow…

1 Like

Wow you’re like friends with food celebrities curlz!! I guess we could say you’re kind of a big deal!!

Wanna bring some of the SC by this way after you pick it up?

1 Like

Funny, I asked Pete to do the same for me, but he didn’t… Bummer that you’re not in AP so I can do that easily!
(And fwiw, I’ve never met him – I just share suggestions when he asks for them)

The green chili. We’ll have to remember the Kung Pao Chicken and the spicy beef noodle soup–the latter would be “#710 Spicy Braised Beef Soup Noodle in Hot Oil”?

Lunch today:

An insane portion of Sesame noodles

#922 - Fish filet in hot chili oil

Belly was full, lips were buzzing, and all was closer to right in the world!

12 Likes

#710 Spicy Braised Beef Soup Noodle in Hot Oil”

Yes that’s the one!

1 Like

ALERT: Sichuan Cottage has changed owners. Called in an order last night and was placed on a long hold (the line was left open so I could hear what was going on). There was mass confusion with other orders being taken by phone and in person. All female voices, whereas I have only spoken with who I assumed to be the male owner on all prior occasions. Arrived to find all female both in the front of the house and from what I could tell, the kitchen. The guy I’m used to seeing, not there. A pissed-off guy who was also waiting for his food said ownership changed recently and they messed up his order. A younger woman at the counter confirmed that her Aunt had bought the business. All this led to some trepidation, but not to worry … the food tasted as it always does. Let’s hope it stays that way!!

1 Like

Well then obviously the place is destined for failure!! What’s with women these day’s thinking they can do the same job as men!!! Gesh… :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy: (yes I am kidding, please don’t get all upset)

3 Likes